Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Thoughts on B&B Bullets after 900+ mile road trip

B

Bounty Hunter 6

Okay, to preface, here's my car: 2002 A4 Coupe stock save for a CAI and now the Bullets. OH, and 3:15 gears..

There has been a LOT of discussion on drone and popping, not just on the Bullets but for other systems as well. I will talk about both. First, the Bullets produce the sound the C5 should have come with from the factory IMO. Holy Crap, those things are better than any horn!
thumbsup.gif

I'm pretty sure you will have varying levels of drone in different systems you choose, drone being the term for when the resonance hits its peak and is at it's deepest/loudest. With that in mind, I think there are some truths to list:

1) I think it is safe to say that everyone has their own level of tolerance for drone
2) Not everyone on the CAC drives the same way; I've seen posts, for instance, in which people stated they never went over 3,000 rpm
eek6.gif

3) You will get several different opinions about what sounds "best" for a catback. They're opinions, they are SUPPOSED to vary! It's a good thing.

With that said, I'll move on to my experience on the road trip. I was fully aware of the drone from Bullets having driven a friends MN6 with them installed. It was only for a short time, but I thought the overall sound was so much better than any little drone could ruin. When I set the cruise control and hit the highway, I gotta tell you, I just didn't get any annoying drone. Most of the highways were 70 or 75 mph limits so I cruised at about 4-5 over the whole way. With the RPMs in the 2100-2200 rpm zone, it just didn't resonate a whole lot. When I slowed down for those nasty construction zones 45-55 mph, there was a little bit, but not teeth chattering or anything to give me a headache. In fact, I did not have to adjust the volume of my book on CD (hey, 900 miles is a long drive!)

In town, there is a little bit of a difference. I live in a mountainous region, and the hills are really the only place I experience any drone. Under load going up hill and keeping the RPMs between 1600 and 1900, I get a pretty loud drone, but I'm never in that powerband very long. Cruising around at your normal 35-55 around town and I do not receive any noticeable drone at all. I do a lot of "manual" shifting in my A4 so I can hear the exhaust note through the rpms better, and will often leave it in 3rd which keeps the RPMs out of the "drone zone." I think having an A4 makes the difference in how much drone there is.

The issue of popping. I have not heard it "pop" persay. I have more of a gurgle, which sounds friggin awesome!! In fact, I would hate to get an x-pipe and that sound go away! Having said that, I have to MAKE it pop. Again, having an A4 makes it less likely and cruising around in DRIVE does not give me any pop on decel except right around 51-53 mph briefly. The same goes for 1st, 2d, and 3rd individually. 3rd will gurgle at around 43 mph, 2d gurgles around 33 and so on. If I drive in 3rd and go up to, say 65 mph, and then decel, it will NOT gurgle until right around that low 50mph zone. The rpms for the gurgle are right around 1600-1900 rpm. Before and after that zone and there is no gurgling going on.

All in all, I'm so happy with my purchase. It honestly feels like driving my car for the first time every time I start it up now. I'm sure other exhausts give their owners that same feeling, just wanted to share the Bullet experience with those that may be wondering.

Anyone in the Colorado area that wants to drive it and hear for yourself, just let me know! Any questions welcome.

Glen

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?p=752092#post752092
Oh, and here's the link to the thread with the video clip sound comparison between stock and Bullets. Doesn't do the Bullets justice, but still gives you a little idea.

Hey, Glen,
Where did you go on your 900+ mile road trip? And how was the weather?

Great report on the first trip with your Bullets! It's been my experience that the resonance 'drone' is something you experience more with manual transmissions than with automatics. I seem to experience mostly when I'm in 3rd gear, for some reason.

I agree with you about the motor-boat gurgling sound on deceleration. When I first got the Z06, the gurgling sound kind of alarmed me, like there might be something wrong with the car. One of the great things about the CAC is that when you share your experiences, you find out that you aren't alone in experiencing them, and I quickly learned that the gurgling was completely normal with the pipe configuration I have. Now I've gotten used to it, and I like the way it sounds- sort of gives the impression of immense power being tempered. I also like the way it sort of intimidates the drivers of "lesser" vehicles (like kids driving ricers.)

-Patrick

Hey Patrick!
I went to Effingham for Funfest 2006. What a great time! Got to meet a lot of really cool people and see some incredible cars. Worth every mile!

Glen

Hey, Glen,

Great report on the first trip with your Bullets! It's been my experience that the resonance 'drone' is something you experience more with manual transmissions than with automatics. I seem to experience mostly when I'm in 3rd gear, for some reason.

-Patrick

Patrick, are you running the Bullets on your Z06? I'm trading off my 06 automatic for an 07 manual (had a manual before; don't care for the automatic), and currently have the Bullets on the 06. With the 6spd automatic, there is no drone above 2000 rpms or so. If you are running the Bullets with a manual, are you noticing drone above 2000 rpm, or just below?

Thanks,
Dave

Glen,
I hope you'll come to CruiseFest 07 next year in Colorado- I'd love to hear that system.
I just got a 99 with stock exhaust, and ... well.... its gonna have to go :L
I'm going to try to be patient and hold off on purchasing for a while.

Famous last words.

Tammy

I get some drone at around 1500 rpm's in 6th gear on the interstates. Mostly when going uphill, thereby putting a slight load on the engine. On level ground or downhill there is no drone. I could kick off the cruise control and shift down to 5th gear, but then I wouldn't enjoy the 30mpg I get when cruising in 6th gear. ;)

Patrick, are you running the Bullets on your Z06? I'm trading off my 06 automatic for an 07 manual (had a manual before; don't care for the automatic), and currently have the Bullets on the 06. With the 6spd automatic, there is no drone above 2000 rpms or so. If you are running the Bullets with a manual, are you noticing drone above 2000 rpm, or just below?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,
I have a set of Borla Stingers on my Z06. If I do say so myself, they sound very nice! :dance The drone seems to come right about that 2000 RPM range, but strangely, only if I'm in third gear. I've never heard it in any other gear.

In June, 2005, I was returning from Cruisefest in Bowling Green, caravanning back with GeekInAVette and FB Ref when we got caught in the remnants of Tropical Storm Adele (or something like that) as it moved inland- this was right about the time the three of us hit Evanston, IN. I was at the front of the group, and FB Ref commented over our radios that the heavy rain we were going through seemed to make my Borlas even louder.

I have not actually heard what the Bullits sounds like- I need to plan on catching up with Glen at one of our local Corvette Club outings so I can hear it 'sing.'

:w
-Patrick

Definitely Patrick! I look forward to the next outing. My work schedule always seems to conflict here lately, maybe I should retire! ha!

Tammy, if Cruisefest is in Colorado I'll start making plans NOW to be there for that! Funfest was such a good time I really want to try some of the other ones....except Carlisle, that's kind of far!

Dave,
I have a set of Borla Stingers on my Z06. If I do say so myself, they sound very nice! :dance The drone seems to come right about that 2000 RPM range, but strangely, only if I'm in third gear. I've never heard it in any other gear.

In June, 2005, I was returning from Cruisefest in Bowling Green, caravanning back with GeekInAVette and FB Ref when we got caught in the remnants of Tropical Storm Adele (or something like that) as it moved inland- this was right about the time the three of us hit Evanston, IN. I was at the front of the group, and FB Ref commented over our radios that the heavy rain we were going through seemed to make my Borlas even louder.

I have not actually heard what the Bullits sounds like- I need to plan on catching up with Glen at one of our local Corvette Club outings so I can hear it 'sing.'

:w
-Patrick

Got it. Thanks for the reply! I've got a month or so before the new toy arrives to decide if I want to move the Bullets over, or try Corsa Sports. I had Borlas (not the Stingers) on my manual 02 and really liked them. Would go with Borla again but am having fun trying different vendors :D . The sargeant major thinks I'm nuts :crazy . That said, however, when I replaced the stock exhaust with the Bullets she did say something like "Wow, they're 'kinda loud; but now at least it sounds like a Corvette should sound!" :upthumbs

Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom