Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

throttle bodies

vh82

Corvette
1982 Collectors Edition
new mechanic has informed me that new throttle bodies(bases) are needed to end the "stumble-gasp" prob with my 82 CE. He has replaced the injectors, plugs,EGR,dist cap & rotor (does it even HAVE this?), and a vacuum leak. Running better but still has hesitation in city driving-on highway , hot and at speed, it is perfect. Have read back through some of these posts, but need an experienced opinion-I know this has got to be expensive. got about 44000 orig, orig under hood as far as we can tell, I do drive it (and enjoy the h* out of it!)-What else do I need to know? There are no L83 mechanics round here!As many thoughts as yall can come up with are good-thanks

You need to have your fuel pressure checked, check ignition timing & make sure it advances when you rev it, dirty injectors can cause problems, & make sure the thermac system on the air cleaner is working right (opening the flap when the engine gets warm). An egr valve might be opening to soon also. You can have your throttle bodies rebuilt, so you don't have to buy new ones. They put bushings in the throttle shafts to elimanate wear problems.

preciate the info-just don't want to create a bigger problem or screw up what should be left alone- Thanks, any other thoughts are welcomed!

new mechanic has informed me that new throttle bodies(bases) are needed to end the "stumble-gasp" prob with my 82 CE. He has replaced the injectors, plugs,EGR,dist cap & rotor (does it even HAVE this?), and a vacuum leak. Running better but still has hesitation in city driving-on highway , hot and at speed, it is perfect. Have read back through some of these posts, but need an experienced opinion-I know this has got to be expensive. got about 44000 orig, orig under hood as far as we can tell, I do drive it (and enjoy the h* out of it!)-What else do I need to know? There are no L83 mechanics round here!As many thoughts as yall can come up with are good-thanks

Stop! The TB bases are NOT bad...Ok, like mentioned, check your fuel pressure. Check it in-between the throttle body's. Set it to 14psi and you'll be fine and should cure your stumble if everything else is ok. The balance may be off as well and may need to be tweaked. If your mechanic doesn't know how to do that, then he should learn how it's done if he's going to work on a CF motor.

Good luck and post results.

You didnt mention Plug wires. I just replaced the wires in my 82CF because a mechanic said he was getting shocked while working on the exhaust manifold. Not easy, but by the time I finished, I found 3 wires that were split on the plug end. The Cool thing is that the throttle lag has disapeared. If your vette has the original plug wires, change them.:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom