Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Throttle Body Bypass

Throttle body icing can happen under the right conditions, outside temp in low 30's and high humidity. It is caused by moisture in the cold intake air freezing inside the throttle body. It is very hard to diagnose because it will melt by the time you stop the car and open the hood. But not a problem where I live in South Texas, and who drives their Corvette in that kind of weather anyway!

Does anyone have some pics of a throttle body by-pass that they can post? I am a tad confused as to where the hose that is taken off the throttle body goes once it is off. Anyone who can enlighten me on this "simple" procedure? Thanks in advance.

Rich

tlong said:
If you drive a C4 in 10*F in two feet of snow the throttle body icing up is the least of your worries. It's 200 degrees under the hood and the chances of that happening is almost nonexistent.

First of all, carb icing occurs between 32 and 50 degrees not 10 degrees. Second, engine temp has nothing to do with carb icing. Third, if you were able to get that "C" shaped hose out in 10 minutes, an NHRA team will pay you well for your speed.

I believe that my previous post acknowledges the rarity of icing. The point of my post was to explain the purpose of the system and the fact that you will sacrifice a small amount of reliability for a small power improvement. If someone wants that extra 2hp without losing reliability, they can install a valve.

Mike

Frisbee?

tigmaned said:
any others i missed let me know??

How about removing the frisbee from the front of the water pump?

Jim S.

Corvette C4 has NEVER had a carb! Comparing it to aviation is a stretch brother.

All you do is run the existing hose off the T at the radiator to the metal pipe under the plastic fuel rail cover, bypassing the throttle body. Put rubber caps on the newly exposed barbs.

You cut the hoses off the TB. No kit. Plug the hose into the pipe-done-under 10 minutes. It's simple plumbing, not heart surgery. Eliminates 2 clamp connections.

Dayng (Joe Dirt) I just don't see the icing potential with the underhood temps. But the scientists here can never disregard remote possibilities. To you guys leave it alone then. For the theorists that like every pony potential-do it.

I installed a valve in my Throttle body coolant line when I had my TPI s-10. But then I started thinking that would stop the water circulation through the engine when the thermostat was closed, potential hot spots . Then I just bypassed the TB.

mt little C-shaped hose on the front was torm and leaking, so i just got a new peice off heater hose and ran it from there to the heater control value. took only a couple if minutes and not a big loss of coolant. heck that little C-shaped peice of hose has a crazy high price since its form fitted. i have been thinking about making a cleaner lower plate were the hose went into the T/B so you don't see those opening under the T/B anymore.

tigmanned, can you tell me the size hose you used and also what size caps are required for the nipples on the TB?

hose was 5/8 diameter. and i didn't cap the wholes in the T/B, not sure theres a need? except looks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom