Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Throttle Body

jwawhite

Corvette
2003 Anny Coupe
I have a Corvette Maintence book and have read a bit about the Throttle Body, neat about how it warms up with radiator water. Anyway it appears to be a job to clean it up.

What about just taking off the inlet tube and clean with carb cleaner...? I have about 40k on the car and drive it on freeway trips usually and have changed the air filter before it's due.

Any thoughts about this out there?

CRC makes an aerosol throttle body cleaner. I've used it since 1998 with good results. I seem to remember reading not to use carb cleaner on them, but I don't remember any details.

No...do not use Carb Cleaner on a throttle body. As what's already been stated above....use CRC's specifc Throttle Body Cleaner...which will not remove or disturb the teflon coating inside the barrel of the TB. Just be gentle with any cleaners. I use a soft clean cloth soaked with the cleaner and rub it around inside. It can be somewhat cleaned without removing it from the engine. If your engine is rough running etc., then I'd suggest removing it to clean both ends.

To remove it, just disconnect the two elec. connections on the TB, then the little rubber tube below....and the TB bolts and it will come off easily. Be careful with the connection points. You may want to buy a new O-ring gasket....about $10.

Good luck! :thumb

I have a Corvette Maintence book and have read a bit about the Throttle Body, neat about how it warms up with radiator water. Anyway it appears to be a job to clean it up.

What about just taking off the inlet tube and clean with carb cleaner...? I have about 40k on the car and drive it on freeway trips usually and have changed the air filter before it's due.

Any thoughts about this out there?

The coolant keeps the throttle body from iceing (sp?, looks wrong to me) up in cold temperatures. I use carb clean to clean the throttle body, but only after I spray it on a rag and then I use the rag to clean the area. If you spray carb or brake cleaner directly into the throttle body the chances of damaging the throttle actuator (TAC) and throttle position sensor (TPS) are greatly increased. As stated previously, if you are going to spray directly onto the throttle plate then a throttle body specific cleaner is much safer. Good luck with it. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom