Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! THROTTLE GETTING STUCK - CAUSING HAVOC

bobavett

Corvette
1986 C4 AUTO Torch Red Tan & Black Interior Coupe
Hi all .... :w

The good news ..... I am 90 % done with my restoration ..... interior, paint, weather seals, electrics etc ...... :)

Now the bad ..... when I press the accelerator:) the throttle does not go back to it's original position .... causing high reving ..... it appears to 'get stuck' and needs to be helped be putting your foot under the accelerator (don't worry only in park and not on the road) .... with the bonnet up you see it goes back to its original position .....

I have inspected the throttle body and its clean ..... I used WD40 on the external spring and throttle mechanism ...... NOTHING ! :confused

Could the spring mechanism be at fault or could even the accelerator cable be stretched ????

I am hoping someone has experienced a similar problem and has a fix for it?

Thank you all in advance :beer

There could be one of several problems.

The cable sheath might have gotten kinked or bent, causing the cable to bind enough to not completely go slack when at idle.

The cable might have broken one of the several steel wires in the bundle, and it's catching on the sheath internally.

The throttle plate could be binding in the throttle body, due to wear on the throttle shaft bushings.

The throttle shaft might be sticking in the bushings, due to lack of lubrication or dirt.

I would try to pull the cable off the throttle linkage and isolate where the binding is occurring.
See if the throttle goes back to idle without the cable, and if it does, then the cable is likely binding.
If it doesn't, then the problem is in the throttle body.

WD40 is not a good lubricant for the bronze bushings in the throttle body. A better lube would be a 10 weight oil after cleaning it off with a spray carb cleaner to remove any carbon deposits. Lube up the cable end with oil and get some inside the cable sheath to free up the cable, and make sure it is sliding smoothly.

Good luck!

There could be one of several problems.

The cable sheath might have gotten kinked or bent, causing the cable to bind enough to not completely go slack when at idle.

The cable might have broken one of the several steel wires in the bundle, and it's catching on the sheath internally.

The throttle plate could be binding in the throttle body, due to wear on the throttle shaft bushings.

The throttle shaft might be sticking in the bushings, due to lack of lubrication or dirt.

I would try to pull the cable off the throttle linkage and isolate where the binding is occurring.
See if the throttle goes back to idle without the cable, and if it does, then the cable is likely binding.
If it doesn't, then the problem is in the throttle body.

WD40 is not a good lubricant for the bronze bushings in the throttle body. A better lube would be a 10 weight oil after cleaning it off with a spray carb cleaner to remove any carbon deposits. Lube up the cable end with oil and get some inside the cable sheath to free up the cable, and make sure it is sliding smoothly.

Good luck!

Thanks Pete .... I'll do what you suggest tonight and let you know how I get on .... :w

Regards

Darren
AUSTRALIA

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom