Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tilt Steering Column

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
I have about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wiggle at the steering wheel if I push Up on the wheel, I really dont like this. Ive had a mechanic look at the thing (Hes not well versed in Corvette) he couldnt figure it out.

So far Ive spent 1000$ US in repairs to this thing and its becoming a project.Ive Replaced the bearing all the way down the shaft Ive replace the selector plastic donut inside Ive replace the Half Moon Key for the Telescope steering then capped it with a MOMO steering Hub and a Grant Mirage Wheel.

The play is not coming from the column at all but the crack where the Tilt go up and down is where this play Is. Is there a Bracket in there? Can I do this without heavy work? Please help :mad

If it's any consolation to you, mine's doing that again and I just had it repaired a few years ago. I didn't even notice it until I took it into the shop last week.

_ken

Found this thread while researching the same problem. Any answers to this? I have a 90 coupe with the same problem. With the wheel all the way up it is solid. Pull down to drive, it "locks" into position, but there is some give in the steering wheel. It doens't pull completely out to the next position, but it's a little un-nerving while taking a corner and the steering wheel gives slightly.

Is this a fix-it-yourself project, or leave-it-to-professionals?

I haven't had any of these apart in recent yrs. last one I had apart was a mid 80s GM If I remember right there are some screws that hold the bearing assembly in place that tend to come lose.

I'll toss this into the mix here...

http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

If you are not comfortable taking the column apart, (lots of little pieces inside) you can remove the column and ship it out for a makeover. Its really not that difficult to remove as all the wiring is male/female plug and only a few bolts hold it in. I shipped mine to Columns Galore Turn around was 1 day to ship, one day to repair and ship back.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom