Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Time for tires

jvdaniel

Corvette
2000 Silver Convertible
;help I knew that it was time for new tires, then I found a nail in my left rear tire. I want to stay with run flats. I am considering the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP. Is this a good choice? ;help ;help

;help I knew that it was time for new tires, then I found a nail in my left rear tire. I want to stay with run flats. I am considering the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP. Is this a good choice? ;help ;help

When I replaced the original Goodyear EMT tires on my C5 (purchased new) I bought the Goodyears - only because they are rated to be driven up to 200 miles with no pressure.

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP tires are only rated for 50 miles. I often drive in rural areas and did NOT want to get stuck with a flat. It is difficult to find a runflat dealer with equipment in rural areas - major cities are okay.

The Goodyears are very noisy and one of the main factors that I did not buy another new C5 (or C6).

I know from reading the Internet Corvette forums that there are a lot of opinions about the replacement tires. I have read that others think the Michelin tires are quieter.

Good luck with your decision.

I went with the Michelin ,the tire is not nearly as noisey.Down side the tire bead goes over the rim edge and they are rated only at 50-70 miles as run flats.
I like the tire

Mine had Firestone runflats on her when I bought my vette. They were pretty much better in every way compared to the GY's... But I've never personally tried the Michelins

+

I am going to order the Michelin PS A/S ZP Run Flats next week.

I am going to order the Michelin PS A/S ZP Run Flats next week.

I put them on my wife's 03 AE vert over a year ago and we're very pleased.
Quieter, better ride, plenty of dry traction and great in the rain. They appear to be lasting longer also.

If rural driving is an issue and you're worried about the 50 miles flat limit, get a plugging kit and a 12v compressor to carry in the car. If nothing, use the compressor to keep the tire inflated often enough to avoid exceeding the limit.

A question here,could you get the stock rear 18" rims and put them on the front of an 04 vette with no problem? :eek:hnoes If so you would be able to carry a spare full size or donut right?:confused

A question here,could you get the stock rear 18" rims and put them on the front of an 04 vette with no problem? :eek:hnoes If so you would be able to carry a spare full size or donut right?:confused

My first thought is that you'd have to have the computer reprogrammed to handle the ASR and ABS. The current programming knows the different sizes and knows how to handle the different rotational velocities to make Traction Control and AntiLock Brakes work.

Otherwise, you'll get warning lights that these systems are not working.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom