Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Time to change the antifreeze?What to use??

jims427400

Corvette
67 427 tripower,68 427 tripower,04 Z16, 62 340hp
Looking for advice on the replacement of the dexcool antifreeze in gm products with aluminum engines. I've read many threads on dexcool and want to poll everyone here on CAC.
How many of you have stayed w/ the red or have you switched to the green and why.

I don't like to take chances, so I just follow the GM recommendation and use the GM coolant. I also have the dealership do it. If you get air in the engine if it isn't replaced right, you can have cooling problems. - Ron

Been using Dex-Cool since 1996. I flush & replace every 5 years myself.

Fluid looks as good as it did when I took delivery of Vette! :upthumbs

SAVE THE :w

Dex-cool

I think staying with the factory recommended dex-cool as a replacement is the way to go. You change it every five years and there's no problems. IMHO

Looking for advice on the replacement of the dexcool antifreeze in gm products with aluminum engines. I've read many threads on dexcool and want to poll everyone here on CAC.
How many of you have stayed w/ the red or have you switched to the green and why.

There are no significant problems with Dexcool in Gen 3/4 engines in C5s with properly maintained cooling systems.

If the engine has Dexcool in it now, flush the system with tap water, then on the final fill, use a 50/50 mix of water and Dexcool.

In some cases you'll not be able to drain the engine dry so after flushing, first compute the amount of antifreeze needed for a 50/50 mix, add that much Dexcool, then top off the system with distilled water.

It is important to follow the service manual instructions for flushing and filling.

I run Dexcool in my C5 and my 03 blazer with no problems, still looks good. I put the "gold" antifreeze in the C4 and two other cars after a thorough flushing. If you use The Gold stuff, make sure it is compatible with all antifreezes or you could have problems if the flushing is not complete. The gold is good up to 100K miles according to the Service Techs at the Chevy dealer I frequent, just check it for visual contamination. They had no problems with the gold. Prestone makes the compatible gold antifreeze. My only comment on the Dexcool is that you must keep an eye on the liquid level as I heard that it is more corrosive than the green ethylene glycol and problems could occur if the liquid level gets too low. Also, one cannot mix green and red. If you notice the overflow reservoir cap, it either has a red or green spot on it signifying the original antifreeze that was placed in the car so I've been told.
Barrett

Surprised to hear that...Iwas told that the green is more corrosive then the red. Anyway I like staying with whatever came from the factory with all fluids.:w

Dex-cool here...

Definitely Dex-cool here. I see no reason to change to anything else. I recently flushed mine at 100,000 miles. The old coolant looked clean and just as good as the new coolant I put in.

Kevin

When my engine is due for a coolant change, I'll stick with what the factory reccomends...DexCool.

I avoid DEX-COOL. It has a been known to corrode intake manifold gaskets on GM vehicles (particularly the 3.1L, 3.4L, and 4.3L). There are class action lawsuits going on about this.

A year ago I had to replace the manifold gaskets on my wife's car.

Even though it may be safe on the larger engines in our Corvettes, I'm not taking any chances. I use Prestone and my car runs just fine.

To each his own....

Good Luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom