Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Timing ajustment

#1 cylinder is at the front passenger side of car
Can't be .
Follow the wire from the #1 plug ( front drv side ) to the cap , not other way around.
Wires could located be in any position on the cap so long as in correct firing order
The wire you note above is #2 which is next to #1 on the cap

im going out to check right now will fill you guys in when back in side

Can't be .
Follow the wire from the #1 plug ( front drv side ) to the cap , not other way around.
Wires could located be in any position on the cap so long as in correct firing order

so i went and checked it an #1 and #2 cylinders are switched and is timed off of cyliner #2 which is supposed to be #1 cylinder because i hooked my light to it and the timing reads 6 degreees before tdc. the way i know what wire is what is because the plastic ring is missing bot all the boots are numbered with white out my #1 boot on distributer is at right hand corner of plenum likke it should be but rest of order is different to it goes 12345678 in clockwise motion

daaaaaaaaah I m so dumb i!!!!never mind figured it out the last person that changed the cap lost the boot retainer and when they unplugged the wires they just went right around the boots starting at the actual #2 cyliner so that is why i thought the#1 cylinder was on pssenger side and they just numbered the from 1-8 so the numbers i were going by were just numbers they used to effortlessly plug back in, in the right order

THANK YOU EVERY ONE FOR ALL THE HELPFUL REPLIES

but rest of order is different to it goes 12345678 in clockwise motion
If it was in that order it would not be running.

Someone ( you ?) has numbered the wires in the order they go on the cap ,
NOT THE FIRING ORDER ;squint:

Don't go by the cap when checking plug wires.
Follow each wire from the plug then you know EXACTLY what wire you are dealing with.

my #1 boot on distributer is at right hand corner of plenum like it should be
And as noted above;
#1 does not have to be in any particular position on the cap so long as the wires are in the correct order

I was trying to figure out how to adjust my timing last week. A google search turned up this picture. Where is this in the engine? It looks like it should be near the serpentine belt, but I can't find it on my 88.

The FSM mentions a timing light. Is that a generic device I can just get at my local auto parts store?

I am trying to check/adjust my timing because I am have an issue that was once fixed with a timing adjustment. The car stalls when started unless gas is applied until warm.

Where is this in the engine? It looks like it should be near the serpentine belt, but I can't find it on my 88.

Timing tab shown is on front timing chain cover ( red ).
Lines up with mark on balancer ( green )
timing.jpg

Can't be .

sorry miss read this reply but thnk you for clarifying!!!:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom