Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Tips 4 changing the accelerator cable?

WhalePirot

Corvette
1984 White Z-51/ZF6-40/Shinoda body
got it done.

Last edited:
Have a cable that is loose, the one that goes into the firewall behind the brake booster and assume that its the accelerator cable. I've taken out the seat and bottom dash panel (drivers side) and still can't get to the top of the accelerator pedal to see if there is anything loose or broken. Can't figure out how to access it. Any help here! Thanks in advance.

Have a cable that is loose, the one that goes into the firewall behind the brake booster and assume that its the accelerator cable. I've taken out the seat and bottom dash panel (drivers side) and still can't get to the top of the accelerator pedal to see if there is anything loose or broken. Can't figure out how to access it. Any help here! Thanks in advance.
I'd sure want to know if it demands replacement, b/c, as you are finding out, it is a PITA to do. I had to remove my throttle pedal to get to it, partially b/c I was changing to a shorter (post '84) cable for cosmetics with my TPI setup.

There is a seal at the firewall hole, too, to keep water out of the footwell; seems a bit frail and I redressed mine with some black tube gasket sealant to ensure that; despite not ruining what was there, but breaking the seal. the thru-F/W fixture has two 'wings'; the typical square plastic squeeze-in type, which is a bit tricky to release, but rather easy to snap back in place.
Like any underdash work, there is only room for two of these three required items: hand, with or without tools, line of sight or illumination.:w

Last edited:
Appreciate the response. Will try again soon, very frustrating. I wonder what they do when they race these things and break one!!!! However, I'm thinking that it would be easier if I took the top dash pad off, if it would be more accessible?? I'm sure I'll get there, just a matter of time. Thanks again. :happyanim:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom