Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tips for restoring those front grills?

The73vetteman

Corvette
'73 L48 4spd
Got the grills off my '73 to replace the front bumper and I'd like to get them back to as-new condition before they go back on. The chrome edging is all there but some of the black has peeled away (looks like corrosion - is the material aluminium?).

Anyone got any tips for how to restore the black finish?

John

I had my whole grilles Nickel plated.....looks like chrome but not the expense....but I did not paint any black on them and they look sweet...at least to me...

good luck

It was kinda time consuming, but I cleaned off the flaking, then sprayed them with a flat black paint. then the time consuming part, i took a sharp knife and lightly scraped the black off the crome.
It seemed to work well, i scraped it right after I painted them.
I'll get a pic of them and post it tomorrow.

Nice job there captin george, those grills look great. In fact the whole car looks gorgeous. I dream of getting my '73 to a similar standard. Perhaps following your advice on the grills will be a step in the right direction. Thanks for the advice.

John.

Not the grill, just underneath them

captin george said:
This is what they look like now.
I have peeling as well, but it's not the chrome that's peeling. It's the black part right underneath the grills and parking lights.

I'm having this repaired by the guy that's storing my car this winter. He acted like it wasn't a big deal, although he's in the corvette restoration business. I'll have to ask him how they did it when I pick up the car.

-John

The73vetteman said:
The chrome edging is all there but some of the black has peeled away (looks like corrosion - is the material aluminium?).
My understanding is the grills in 1973 started off being pot metal which was eventually replaced by aluminium at some point during the production run. In other words, if you have aluminium, you're lucky. The grills were chrome plated and then painted black except for the leading edge which was left shiny. In 1974, the grills were always aluminium and painted completely black (no chrome).

Aluminium quality was a concern back in 1973 as the processing left the metal porous which caused problems. GM planned to deliver aluminium wheels as a factory option but quality control concerns made them pull that option almost immediately. Only 4 cars were ordered/delivered with aluminium wheels in 1973.

When I removed my grills, two of the screw mounts for the turn signals crumbled as soon as I turned the screws which made me suspect I had pot metal grills. Fortunately, a buddy who welds aluminium was able to rebuild the screw mounts. Now I need to find a chrome plater who I can trust with them....

-Mac

I used some new Krylon spray paint made specifically for plastic. The first coat didn't look good after it dried. It had a fogged look to it. I'm assuming it was bonding to the plastic in some way causing it to look that way. After I applied the 3rd/final coat, the grills look brand new. I'm very happy with the way they look. I've been told that chroming plastic can be very expensive. My 68 grills didn't have chrome, so there was no bother looking in to it.

dnewton, do you have aftermarket replacement grills? My understanding (far from expert) is 68's had metal grills. :confused

The73vetteman said:
Nice job there captin george, those grills look great. In fact the whole car looks gorgeous. I dream of getting my '73 to a similar standard. Perhaps following your advice on the grills will be a step in the right direction. Thanks for the advice.

John.

You'll have to show us what she looks like when she's finished.

Mac... I'm not for sure if mine are after market or not. Like you, I'm far from an expert from knowing what was original or not. As much as this car was bastardized by previous owners over the years, nothing would surprise me. By the time I'm done with restoration, it will at least 'look' original except under the hood. I should get the car back from paint by this Monday, then start going back together. My target is June so I can get it in a local show.

dnewton

My restoration looks original but I've taken advantage of today's improved materials... stainless lines & fasteners, powdercoating for the frame & suspension, etc.

Good luck and post pictures as she comes together!!

-Mac

I found out today that 68 thru late 69 were plastic. In late 69, metal grills (pot metal) were being used until around 72 or so.

Mac said:
My restoration looks original but I've taken advantage of today's improved materials... stainless lines & fasteners, powdercoating for the frame & suspension, etc.

Good luck and post pictures as she comes together!!

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom