Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

tire advice??

G

Glenn W.

My Goodyear runflats are getting thin on tread and are getting incredibly noisy as a result.....
I've thought about not getting runflats this time to reduce the sidewall noise. Looks like Yokohama, Kumho and Nitto make tires that are priced right....is it worth going to the Michelin Pilot sports for example? You can buy two sets of the others for the price of those!!

I have a 97 and made the mistake of staying with run flats next time it kumho or nitto's.

My 2 cents worth

Kumho

I have found these to be excellent tires for the price. I would do it again.

Good luck!

Tire decision.

Check out the tire rack website. There is a comparison of the various types of tires. A lot of your choice will be based on your driving habits and weather conditions you encounter when you drive. I ended up purchasing Kuhmo. I believe a gave up a little performance, but most of my driving is to and from work through small towns with big radar guns.

Glenn,
The concensus opinion among the members of my local Corvette club is that- as you posted- run flats are quite noisy. Yokohamas and Kumhos both have good reputations, but I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with the Nittos.

I agree with the recommendation to consult tirerack.com. A lot of it will come down to your driving habits and perferences.

-Patrick

Any of the above are a decent tire. Just besure to check that the speed rating is adequet for your needs before purchasing. Also note that Discount Tire offers mounting, balancing, and installation at no additional charge... prob one of the best deals out there.

-Dave

I like the non-runflat Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. Very good rating for this tire in TireRack. I have about 3,000 street and autocross miles on mine and would recommend them - great handling-stick, quiet and smooth ride.

Hi, I'm new to this forum as well but I've been doing some research on new tires for my 1985. I've found that the Yokahamas in my tire size anyways, have the best reviews. These are not run flats, just regular tires. The tires on my car are the Michelin Pilot series and I'm not happy with the ride or the treadwear. If I wanted to stay with Michelin, the tires that replace the ones I have, are close to double what Yokahamas cost.
I would also suggest the link, tirerack.com. They provide you with lots of info and great reviews.

I'm fast approaching tire replacement and will probably go back with the same Goodyear run flats that are on her now. I've been happy with them and don't see a reason to change. I know they're more expensive but so be it.

:w JAG

Michelin PS A/S ZP's here- much quieter than GY's and runflat safety as well. And all-season because I drive year round.

Glenn W. said:
I've thought about not getting runflats this time to reduce the sidewall noise.

Hi Glenn,

I had the Yoko AVS Sport Runflats after my GYs and they were a significant improvement.

Right now I have the BF Goodrich G-Force TA KDWs and love them.
Less noise than the GY EMts, they handle very well, amd they have an aggressive looking tread.

There was an article a while back (by Hib Halverson I believe) that talked about the noise that is inherent to our cars.
Besides the tires, another reason that we hear road noise is because of the physical make up of the C5. We can improve (reduce it) on it by changing tires, but there will always be some feedback.
Remember, it's a sportscar not a caddy.
I understand that this is something that has been addressed with the C6 through quieter second generation EMTs and more sound deadening built into the car.

Below is one of my wheels that lets you see what the G-Force tires look like.
I got 'em at Tirerack from Damon.
Best of luck with your decision and don't forget to :w

Pedro

26122DSC00756.JPG

I have tried the Nittos and was not impressed at all. I am presently running the B F Goodrich G Force KDWs and I am extremely happy with these tires. Excellent wet or dry traction and hold the road where the Nittos would wash out and leave me feeling like I was about to eat that large wall that was coming at me.

do some homework

Defenitely check out the tech center with Hib's review on the Good Year. If nothing else you'll learn never to let him borrow your car for the afternoon.

Hey Pedro, You GOT to tell me where you got those sweet mags.

JoeMackin said:
Defenitely check out the tech center with Hib's review on the Good Year. If nothing else you'll learn never to let him borrow your car for the afternoon.

Hey Pedro, You GOT to tell me where you got those sweet mags.

Joe,

Thank you for the kind words.
The wheels are also from Tirerack.com and they are SSR GT3 in the satin finish.
18x9.5 front/ 19x11 rear.

I love 'em. Pictures don't do them justice.

Pedro

Edit:
Check these links::beer

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWheel.jsp?wheelMake=SSR&wheelModel=GT3&wheelFinish=Bright+Satin+w%2FPolished+Lip

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T%2FA+KDW+2

I replaced my first set of tires at 30,000 miles. I stayed with the Goodyear run flats, not cheap, but they hold the road and I don't worry if theres a flat when my wife is driving alone.

B. F. Goodrich

I plan on buying B F Goodrich tires for my next set...they seem to have the best rating for how I drive overall...

Mike

I just had Falkans put on my 98, don't know much about the tires as they relate to wear or high performance. What I do know is they whisper to me like a gentle song bird instead of a rat chasing screech owl, ride is like a real car instead of a 18th century freight wagon and handling is now like an honest to God sports car instead of and out of control worn out golf cart :) Yea I know this is way over stated and most of the problems were do to ware but the bottom line is I would never put the run flats back on and BTW the tire were $640.00 installed, balanced,sales tax and disposal

Michelin Pilot Sports

So far the Michelin Pilot Sports are holding up pretty good in my ride. I have tried both the falken and nittos before on my other rides and grips the road good but the tread life was very short-lived.

Dan

A couple of more tires

Has anyone an opinon on Hankook Vetus Sport K104 or Toyo Proxes T1-S tires. The mfg ratings look good but I've never seen or talked to anyone that has them. They both have a new RAD looking tread design that I've seen on the high priced sports cars.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom