Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire Balance

• Thread starter Thread starter Nick Palafox
  • Start date Start date
N

Nick Palafox

Hey y'all. Got a question and I know it sounds pretty basic, but what is the recommended time between having the tires of a C-5 balanced. I check the tire pressure regularly and I know the tires can't be rotated. However, I have noticed that the wheels have balance weights on them so I assume at some regular interval I need to have the balance checked? Can anyone enlighten me?

On another note. I was having dinner with some friends Friday night one of whom owns a 2002 Honda S2000. He said something that made me think he was absolutely delusional. According to him he thinks his S2000 will overtake the vette in the long run. I'm thinking it's a nice little car but no where close to the league of a vette. I couldn't persuade him to believe me. I even told him few cars on the road can match the vette for performance and speed. I think he had one two many martini's. What do you think?

Balanced - Unbalanced

Nick,

As long as you're not experiencing any wheel/tire vibrations the balance is probably fine. Tire balance is not considered one of those periodic maintence issues.

As far as your S2000 friend's claim that his car will out run a C5 Vette - well let's just say "he's" out of balance.

Remo :cool

As mentioned, I wouldn't think you would need to get the balance redone unless you feel vibration.

As for the Vette/S2000 battle..... ;LOL not even in the same league. Tell him to stick to Mustangs. If he doesn't believe you tell him to compare the perf. specs in any magazine.....and if he doesn't believe them, then line 'em up and :bu . You might want to start in 3rd gear....just to give him a slight chance. :L

HA,HA! I took a S/2000 for a little joy ride, and believe me you the vette will destroy it no problem. By the time the V-tech kicks in on that car the vette will be way ahead.

Pulled these from Car & Driver spec's

03 Vette AE
0-60 4.5
0-100 10.6
Top speed 160mph
1/4 mile 13.1/111mph

04 S2000
0-60 5.4
0-100 15.0
Top speed 149mph
1/4 mile 14.1/97mph

Fact's don't lie

Thanks all for your responses.

No vibrations at all, just curious about whether it might be best to balance them every so often.

As far as the vette vs S2000, I laughed to myself all weekend just thinking of his comments.

Nick Palafox said:
Thanks all for your responses.

No vibrations at all, just curious about whether it might be best to balance them every so often.

As far as the vette vs S2000, I laughed to myself all weekend just thinking of his comments.
RACE FOR PINKS, THEN SELL IT FOR MOD MONEY ! ;)

MAC5 said:
Pulled these from Car & Driver spec's

03 Vette AE
0-60 4.5
0-100 10.6
Top speed 160mph

Is this a typo in C&D? The C5 coupes should reach 175mph, and the Z06 & convertible about 171-172mph...

The Coupe will reach 175 with no prob'. The Z06 will run 171. Every mag I've read has the vert topping out in the low 160's. C&D got it to 162...drag limited. I'm sure you can reach the 170's in the vert.....you might blow the top off though! :L

In respect to the original question, "should the tires be balanced periodically" the answer is:
1. If you detect a vibration throughout several speed ranges that can be attributed to one or more tires.
2. If you notice cupping of the tire, or other unusual tire wear that is not evenly distributed around the circumferance of the tire.
3. If it makes you feel better to have them rebalanced on a regular basis. My thoughts on this are, "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it."
Front and rear alignments run about the same, unless you have hit something that has disturbed the alignment settings, then most of the time that money could be better spent. Now I do advocate checking the alignment when the car is about 6 - 8 months old, or 6000 - 8000 miles. Why, because this is when most of the suspension is getting settled, and as it settles the caster and camber settings will change slightly, this will affect the toe-in settings also. However, I have found over the years that even with the settling process, rarely does the total alignment go outside the allowable specs. Again this is assumming that nothing was hit that would cause the suspension to suffer a severe blow.
Many tire and alignment shops advocate checking the alignment every 6 months, and many people do follow their advice. My thoughts on this are, they are selling alignments, so it makes sense for them to advocate the 6 month routine.
For those who have "weekend only" cars, the suspension still settles, but maybe not as quickly because the suspension is not subjected to the constant travel and jounce. Therefore, settling still occurs but at a reduced rate those first few months.
Those are my thoughts for what they are worth.

vettepilot

Those thoughts are worth alot to me. Thanks VettePilot.

Got my vert up to 160 and still had more left. Had to slow down as I was approaching traffic though.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom