Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire change shop long island?

Corvette
1994 C4 GREEN
Bought a set of 4 tires from tire rack. They suggested a firestone shop to install these new 285/45/17 and 245/40/17. When I called firestone they said no problem. When i got there there was a visiting manager from another firestone shop and he said they would not do the job because of the size of the aluminum original rimms. He said the rimms damage easily and i should go to a performance shop and have an inverted install on a clean machine. Whatever that means.

QUESTION- Can anyone recomend a place where I can get these new tires on without damage? I live in suffolk county Long Island Holbrook 11742

Pure Bull Hockey. I have had the rims on my 93 broken down and remounted over twenty times what with new tires flats and rebalancing. This has been done at my local tire store that is not a part of a name brand chain.

Thanks John. I called tirerack and informed them of the situation. They will be calling the guys who said he would not install because of the aluminum alloy rimms. Tirerack will call me back with a new installer.

Just realized that maybe tyhey think it will be hard to remove since they are the original tires?

i had same probs, i have a 93 with ltpws sensors, alot of shops dont realize early sensors were huge and broke the sensor or band. also some shops have an attitude as a restaurant; if you bought a steak from someplace else, dont expect us to cook it here. there are alot of shops on L.I. that are capable but more not so. ive been in the automotive business 40 plus years and have seen it all. i did do business with a shop owner in levittown for 30 years, hes had vettes as long as ive known him and his son runs the bizz now. a few things to know is dots and arrows need to be lined up on rims and tires for weight reasons, valve stems should be replaced, and wheel weights need to be installed. another factor is torquing the lug nuts, especially on disc brakes, uneven tightening can warp rotors or break studs. if i was you i would go to a firestone dealer with torque specs and ask to observer the mechanic doing the work. also be aware of the lift points of your car, as improper jacking can damage it. im an old school rodder who used to mount my slicks by hand and bubble balance by hand my own tires, todays cars are different and sorry to say...most mechanics are inept. if you havnt found a good shop talk to a local club president or go to a chevy dealer.

i had same probs, i have a 93 with ltpws sensors, alot of shops dont realize early sensors were huge and broke the sensor or band. also some shops have an attitude as a restaurant; if you bought a steak from someplace else, dont expect us to cook it here. there are alot of shops on L.I. that are capable but more not so. ive been in the automotive business 40 plus years and have seen it all. i did do business with a shop owner in levittown for 30 years, hes had vettes as long as ive known him and his son runs the bizz now. a few things to know is dots and arrows need to be lined up on rims and tires for weight reasons, valve stems should be replaced, and wheel weights need to be installed. another factor is torquing the lug nuts, especially on disc brakes, uneven tightening can warp rotors or break studs. if i was you i would go to a firestone dealer with torque specs and ask to observer the mechanic doing the work. also be aware of the lift points of your car, as improper jacking can damage it. im an old school rodder who used to mount my slicks by hand and bubble balance by hand my own tires, todays cars are different and sorry to say...most mechanics are inept. if you havnt found a good shop talk to a local club president or go to a chevy dealer.
Thank you. Very good advice. Wish I read it before getting the tires mounted. I would have made sure of all your points. The place I went to was a well known speed shop off of Vets hwy near airport. I did not see them do it but I hope they did a good job. No problems other then they left the rimms with a black dust and white liqued around the tire where the rimm meets tire. I guess i won't know if the sensors are broken unless i get a flat? Thanks for your reply :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom