Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire comparison

PeterG

Corvette
2007 black coupe, NCM Lifetime Member
I've just ordered my 2007 coupe and am trying to get comparison opinions.

Eight years ago I found the standard Goodyear runflats on my 1999 to be noisy, harsh over bumps, slippery in rain, and undriveable in snow.

Can anyone compare or even just give an opinion of the standard Goodyear runflats on the C6?

Thank you.

I've just ordered my 2007 coupe and am trying to get comparison opinions.

Eight years ago I found the standard Goodyear runflats on my 1999 to be noisy, harsh over bumps, slippery in rain, and undriveable in snow.

Can anyone compare or even just give an opinion of the standard Goodyear runflats on the C6?

Thank you.

It all depends on how you intend to use your car.

On my 2005 Z51, the GY Supercars are a warm weather tire - very sticky in summer, really good handling and cornering,but they ride kinda rough on roads here in Ohio and they don't last long (have 12K with 5/32 left.) Last month, purchased a set of all-season GY runflats (same tread design as the base tire, but with a different tread compound for a-s use) and I found them to be a much better riding tire - and I can use the Vette in all but ice and snow conditions. Had a couple of white knuckle snow and ice experiences in the supercars and it was crawl home in 4th gear.

I intend to mount the supercars on aftermarket wheels and use them to autocross in the spring and summer.

In any event, you will really like the car! Good luck! And don't forget to wave! :w

Having both a C5 and a C6 in the garage, I might venture an opinion: The C6 GoodYear runflats (GS2's) are much better than the GS1's on the C5 - quieter and smoother riding. I've got 12,000 miles on my 06 now and cannot complain.

I replaced the GY tires on my C5 about 2 years ago with Michilen PS A/S ZP's and they are a little better in ride and quietness than the new GY tires - GY is close though.

I have GY F1 SC run-flats on my CTS-V - they are quieter than either but the ride is worse - then again, both Vettes have MagRide while the CTS-V's suspension is like a older C4 with Z51 - if you know what I mean.

BTW, we'd had 3+ inches of sleet, freezing rain and snow on the roads here in Oklahoma City area and I've driven my 06 coupe to work 4 out of 5 days this week. Given the HP, torque, weight and tire size, the Vette is not a great car in ice and snow but I did not have any real difficulties getting back and forth.

Thank you for the useful comparisons and experiences.

In checking out TireRack.com I see there are two models of Goodyear tires tagged as original equipment.

They are:

Eagle F1 GS-2 EMT

Eagle F1 A/S-C EMT

Does anyone know which will come standard? Is there a way to specify the A/S-C tires as my choice?

Thank you for the useful comparisons and experiences.

In checking out TireRack.com I see there are two models of Goodyear tires tagged as original equipment.

They are:

Eagle F1 GS-2 EMT

Eagle F1 A/S-C EMT

Does anyone know which will come standard? Is there a way to specify the A/S-C tires as my choice?

You need to ask the Chevy dealer about getting the all season tires from the factory, but likely you will receive the GS-2 tires unless you order the Z-51 option. Because of the strike at GY, tires for our cars have been in pretty short supply. I have been a Tire Rack customer for the past 5 sets of tires for all our cars, but they couldn't put a set of GY a-s runflats together for me. My local Discount Tire was able to put a set together from 3 other stores in other states. With no shipping charge and $12 per tire to install the total price was less than Tire Rack. (The local GY store charges $50 each to install runflats.)

Good luck!

Paul

Both the base suspension cars and the MagRide (F55) cars come with GS2 tires. These are the 'standard' tires for the C6. The Z51 cars and the Z06 come with SC tires (SC stands for Super Car).

So what option did you order?

Both the base suspension cars and the MagRide (F55) cars come with GS2 tires. These are the 'standard' tires for the C6. The Z51 cars and the Z06 come with SC tires (SC stands for Super Car).

So what option did you order?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am ordering the standard - base - suspention. Can I specify the A/S tires instead of the GS2?

And, would these A/S tires really make much difference in rain and snow?

Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am ordering the standard - base - suspention. Can I specify the A/S tires instead of the GS2?

And, would these A/S tires really make much difference in rain and snow?

Thanks.

I don't remember any optional tires being available.
However, the GS2 appears to be pretty good in the wet and, like I mentioned earlier, I drove my GS2 equipped C6 last week on the ice and slush that covered Oklahoma.
There may be a better rain and snow tire in the C6 size but I have not tried any of them.
The Super Car tire is definitely not recommended for snow and ice and it's not very good in the rain.

Thanks

Thank you for all the great information !

It has been very helpful and I appreciate it.

Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom