Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire plugs on Z06?

Pseudomind

Corvette
2002 MY Roadster
Can the stock Goodyear tires used on Z06 P295/35ZR18 be plugged as they are not run-flats, naturally this is the rear tire. I have a small what looks like a nail or screw in my passenger side rear, yet I still have considerable tread. I am not for sure it is even leaking as I put a drop of water on it and nothing happened, no bubbling. I would like to remove it though.

I did it, two years ago, still fine. The pansies at any tire place will say no so you can buy another tire. Go to Pep Boys and buy a plug kit for like 10 bucks and do it in the driveway.

Can the stock Goodyear tires used on Z06 P295/35ZR18 be plugged as they are not run-flats, naturally this is the rear tire. I have a small what looks like a nail or screw in my passenger side rear, yet I still have considerable tread. I am not for sure it is even leaking as I put a drop of water on it and nothing happened, no bubbling. I would like to remove it though.
It may not be through,But get a Plug kit that is suitable for Radial Tires!! Just in case!!(Self Vulcanizing are the best!!):upthumbs

Do NOT plug these tires. Take the tire down to a repair shop and have them patch it from the inside. The only reason that they will give you to replace it is if the hole is too close to or in the side wall. A patch will cost about $50 but way cheaper than the cost of a new tire.

Leon

How about board members opinions on this?

I do not believe the nail is leaking and I drove over 100 miles yesterday and the tire had no problems. I am thinking of just pulling this nail or screw out. I suppose if I pulled it out and it did leak a can of run flat would seal it enough so I could air it up and drive to a service place.

So should I remove it?

or

Let it stay?

If you pull it out and it leaks, run flat probably will not seal it, so be ready with the plug kit. I would'nt say DO NOT plug these tires, because you CAN plug these tires with no problems. I will say that yes, a patch is a better way to fix it, but not by much. If you opt for the patch, the tire has to come off the wheel so be careful to use a good shop so they do not scratch or damage the wheel.

I do not believe the nail is leaking and I drove over 100 miles yesterday and the tire had no problems. I am thinking of just pulling this nail or screw out. I suppose if I pulled it out and it did leak a can of run flat would seal it enough so I could air it up and drive to a service place.

So should I remove it?

or

Let it stay?
Don't spray that Crap in the Tire,It makes a HE77 of a mess and makes it hard to patch!!! A good Quality Radial tire Plug will do just fine!!!!(Self Vulcanizing are the BEST!!!!!) Be sure to cut it off flush with the tread when your done,so you don't spin it out before it cures!!:upthumbs PS
If your Worried about it not working,I'll be shooting through Jacksonville :bu :bu some time Thursday going to the Show in Old Town!!! I'll stop and Plug it for you,I still have your # unless you changed it!!!:pat :dance

My reason for patching versus plugging would be the affect on the balance with the plug. I'm not saying a plug WON'T fix the leak but my thinking was that it is a heavier solution and more likely to affect balance. I'm not a tire expert so maybe someone can shed some light on this for me.

If you go the patch route it is imperative that you go to a tire shop that you trust and that has the proper tools to remove the tires without damaging your wheels.

I don't believe a can of run flat will treat your pressure sensors very well. But doesn't the Z06 come with a can of this as standard equipment?

Leon

Howard,

Even the runflat tires can be repaired by a combination of plug and inside patch. This is Goodyear's prescribed method and it maintains the runflat and speed rating. I realize your Z is a non runflat but it is the same basic tire with a much thinner sidewall. Take your Z to a Goodyear Tire shop or some other reputable performance tire store and have them do the combo repair. Just a side note, I've pulled screws, nails and glass from tires and it's rare that they don't leak. (like nearly never). Like junk said, fix-a-flat makes a mess, if it were mine I wouldn't use it.

I had a nail in one of my rear stock F1 tires on the z06. Had it plugged and had no problems until the day I replaced the tires due to wear. I don't remember how many miles or how long that was, but it was at least 7k miles and a year or more.

Your results may vary.

Tammy

Thanks Tammy, I will look into this. Hell at 7k thats probably approaching about half of the tires life anyway. I believe these tires ar eusually normally only good for about 20k due to their softness. I know I have put on about 10k since I purchased the Zed Nought Six.

How about Zee Naught Six?

Definitions of letter z on the Web:
[SIZE=-1]Z: the 26th letter of the Roman alphabet; "the British call Z zed and the Scots call it ezed but Americans call it zee"; "he doesn't know A from izzard"
[/SIZE]
Z

&

Definitions of nought on the Web:
[SIZE=-1]zero: a mathematical element that when added to another number yields the same number
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]0 (zero) or nought is both a number and a numeral. It was the last numeral to be created in most numerical systems, as it is not a counting number (which is to say, one begins counting at the number 1) and was in many eras and places represented only by a gap or mark very different from the other numerals.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nought[/SIZE]
nought

Definitions of six on the Web:
[SIZE=-1]the cardinal number that is the sum of five and one
denoting a quantity consisting of six items or units
[/SIZE]
Six

;) :L :upthumbs

I have a Napa plug kit . I uses a gun that inserts a mushroom plug in the hole & spreads out inside the tire and is self vulcanizing I have 3 of them in 3 different tires now for almost 2 years now & never have had a problem with any of them. I keep in in the trunk at all times. cost about 90.00 with plenty of plugs Not sure the part # but can get it.

I have a Napa plug kit . I uses a gun that inserts a mushroom plug in the hole & spreads out inside the tire and is self vulcanizing I have 3 of them in 3 different tires now for almost 2 years now & never have had a problem with any of them. I keep in in the trunk at all times. cost about 90.00 with plenty of plugs Not sure the part # but can get it.
I know the one your talking about!! Them work great too!!!:upthumbs But the self vulcanizing plugs I was thinking of are made by Dorman and can be used with regular plugging tool's!!:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom