Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire Pressure For 17 Inch Tires??????

T

tigmaned

i know my 1986 vette came from the factory with 16 inch rim, now it has 17 rims off a later year vette. i have 275/40/17 rubber, the MAX tire pressure onthe side wall of them is 44psi which i know i don't want to have. BUT what do i want to put in them?? 35psi?? 40psi?? i can't read my sticker on the door it has worn off. should try diff psi and see what feels better as long as i stay below the 44psi?

I run mine about 30-32. I don't recall but I think the door sticker says 30.

I have been trying different pressures, currently 35F & 32R. Thats the best so far.

I found that the tire pressure varies based upon the driving you do. I keep mine higher (40PSI) because over the years I found the tires last longer on C4's that way. (they tend to wear on the outside of the tire on C4's, and more pressure helps stop that).

In a nutshell, go between 30 and the max of the tire 44 and you will be fine, just base the exact pressure on your preference for driving.

Tigman,

35 front and 32 rear works best for my 89. Tires wear evenly and it handles well.

Jeff

What would be the best for aggresive driving or racing?

I run 38psi cold in all four of mine. It keeps the outside edges from wearing, and really tightens up the steering. I started out at 32psi all round, but noticed the edges wearing funny, and the steering felt muddy around center. I have increased the pressure a couple of psi each time till everyting felt better and the outside edges stopped showing a grainy texture.

Brett

I'm running 17's on my '84 and keep 'em at 35psi cold, all four. Dang thing is on tracks with that. Dunno why, but it likes it.

It also may vary on what brand of tires are on the car. Each tire make has a certain range for pressure.

I run about 36 psi (cold) all around on mine. If you watch your tread wear patterns, you can make small adjustments to even it out a bit.

The best way to check for proper inflation is the old chalk method. take one of those big chalk sticks kids use to mark up driveways (white works good) and draw a line across the tread from inside to outside (perpendicular to the rotation) then drive down the street. Check to see if/where chalk is left, none means yuou are at the correct pressure (for the load in the car at that time) chalk on the outside edges with none in the middle means over inflation, chalk in the middle with none on the outside edges means under inflation.

If you have chalk on just the outside or the inside it is an indication that the alignment (camber) is off just a bit.

:w

Hrtbeat1 said:
The best way to check for proper inflation is the old chalk method. take one of those big chalk sticks kids use to mark up driveways (white works good) and draw a line across the tread from inside to outside (perpendicular to the rotation) then drive down the street. Check to see if/where chalk is left, none means yuou are at the correct pressure (for the load in the car at that time) chalk on the outside edges with none in the middle means over inflation, chalk in the middle with none on the outside edges means under inflation.

If you have chalk on just the outside or the inside it is an indication that the alignment (camber) is off just a bit.

:w

Thanks Hrtbeat1 I have not heard of this method before. I just went out and marked the tires, the next time I drive I'll know for sure.

Never heard it before either but it sure makes sense. Thanks!

I admire the people who say they can tell a 5 psi tire pressure difference, they must certainly have extremely delicate senses. I can't tell the difference.

I usually keep mine at 30 or 32.

I admire those who say they don't need a tire pressure gauge because their eyes are good enough.:L:L:L Yes, I really do know a guy like that.

Maybe this got nothing to do with PSI but...My front tires were wearing funny like you guys mentioned. I tried from 30 PSI to 44 PSI and it kept happening. It got aligned and it fix it just a bit. Now, believe me on this after I installed the Camber Brace it all stopped.

I run 32psi in the front,and 35psi in the back.just depends on the driving you do and the roads where you live.the door sticker gives info also.The tires you run ect.

so what else did you notice changed with the added camber brace? ride and hood shake gone too??
running 36psi in all four now, see how it is for a little while.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom