Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

M

mvarga

Hi Folks. I'm hoping that someone can help me out. The dash on my '98 vert keeps saying that the pressure on my left front tire is low. Due to the colder weather I've been trying to keep the psi slightly over 30psi. When I check the pressure it says that it's 31.5psi. I'm at a loss. Plus, although it's only been happening for about a week, it's seems to be intermittent. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong???

It may be possible that the battery in your TPS is going. Since its a 98 and the batteries are good for ~7 years (10 years on the Gen II TPS), I'm guessing you will need to replace the sensor(s). There is a DIY home remedy to just replace the battery, but personnaly, I just changed out the entire sensor on mine. You will need to unmount the tire to replace the sensor, replacement torque is 105 INCH-pounds (I believe). Each sensor is going to run you around $85. I changed mine out when I replaced the tires at the 7 year point. If you have the original sensors, you're due.

HTH

It may be possible that the battery in your TPS is going.
Another possibility is that the sensor is not in its programmed position on the car (e.g., the LF sensor on the RR wheel). To verify, check all your tires with a pressure guage.

Thanks for the responses guys. I bought this Vette about 3 months ago with 43K miles on it, so who knows how old the batteries are. I think I'll deal with it for a while. I just put new Eagles on my 2002 and I prefer them to the Firestones that my red Vette has. Although I still have about 10K miles worth of rubber, I think I might just bite the bullet and put new Eagles on the red one after the Holidays. Besides maybe if I hint enough Santa(the wife) will buy me a set. I prefer to keep my Vettes stock anyway(just my preferance). Have a great holiday guys. And remember don't drink and drive because you might spill your drink!!

Mike

I have a 99' and my rear left shows XXX. The chevy dearler said the sensor is bad $129.00 to replace it.

Reprogram

I reprogramed mine and they are fine. The intructions are on this forum. You will nee a magnet on a stick to go around te valve stems on each wheel

HI mvarga, I have the same model ('98 torch red vert) as you and the same problem except I get an intermittent low tire pressure message on the right rear tire. I just hit "reset" when it happens, someday it will bother me enough to get it fixed or reset - but not until I get those new back tires!

HI mvarga, I have the same model ('98 torch red vert) as you and the same problem except I get an intermittent low tire pressure message on the right rear tire. I just hit "reset" when it happens, someday it will bother me enough to get it fixed or reset - but not until I get those new back tires!

Pinky- Thanks for the feedback. BTW, I like your avatar. My best friend in high school and college is the brother-in-law of Bill Buckner. Bill's a real nice guy(hung out with him many times) who caught a bumb rap. He never would have made it to first base if he'd caught that ball and no one was covering first either. BUT THAT'S A WHOLE OTHER CONVERSATION. Thanks Again.

I don't know if this makes any sense, but I decided to "overinflate" my tires to 32psi about 2 weeks ago to give me a little time before I had to put more air in. I haven't had a problem since.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom