Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire Pressure Sensors Mis-reading

• Thread starter Thread starter Ed02
  • Start date Start date
E

Ed02

Hello everyone,
I have a question about how accurate the tire pressure sensors should be on my original Goodyear tires. I have noticed in the past that the readout on the DIC seems to be a few psi from a manual tire gauge, but yesterday morning I got a message that I had low pressure in the RR tire (25 psi). After driving a bit the readout showed 27 psi so I didn't get anymore messages. After parked a few hours I checked the cold tire with a digital gauge and it read 29.5 psi. The only other thing is that the temp. outside got down to 22 degrees overnight and it was still pretty cold when this happened. Even when I have 30 psi in the tires the sensors read from 28-29. I though I would check with the vast knowledge here to see if I have a real problem or do they just need to be recalibrated. BTW, I have checked this with a few different tire gauges.

Thanks in advance for your help
Ed

I had the same problem yesterday. Is there a certain PSI setting that activates the message. I just shot some air in mine and mesage went away. Pehaps better to ignore on a cold day?
What are peoples' thoughts
thanks

My DIC vs manual readings are off by 2.5 to 3 pounds. I check when cold - 30 psi.

Just remember that air pressure reading will be reduced as outside temperature changes. Good rule of thumb is for every drop of 10 degrees in outside temp, tire pressure will show a 1 pound drop, so if your setting them at 30 psi at 70 degrees avg temp. If the avg temp is now around 50 you'll be seeing 28 psi.

Thanks for the replies, I guess the best thing is wait until the tires heat up to check the DIC gauges since I frequently check them manually cold and try to keep them at 30 psi.

Dave1998: If memory serves correctly, I think the manual said the warning comes on when the tire pressure gets down to 25 psi. As the tires warmed up to 27, my message cleared.

MAC5: Thanks, good tip. I absolutely forgot about the pressure drop in cold weather.

Regards, Ed

Does anyone know if this is a condition that comes on as the car gets older? I have '03 and had no problem last winter, even when the temps got into single digits. My problem started about a month ago & I have found that all 4 wheels have different variations. 3 to 5 pounds off. Pumped up all tires and the car rides really rough now even though the pressures are ok per a manual reading.:w :pat

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom