Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire pressure

mr1960

Corvette
2005 Victory Red Coupe & 2005 Black Coupe
What is the correct tire pressue for the Goodyear EMT's that come standard on the 2003? The Chevy place said 40 psi.

Well, in my '99 it's posted on the door-data-sticker to set all four corners at 30 psi. It may be different in your car, but I will say 40 psi sounds awfully high.

First of all ...welcome to CAC ... the best site for vette owners.
Check out what it says on the door (driver side) ... but to play it safe, 30 psi at front and back is sufficient ... 40 psi is a bit too high.

Dan :w

Thanks, 30 psi is what the door sticker says and the ride is much better.

Ctfoodguy2000 said:
Just make sure you check the psi with a "cold" tire.
Steve,

I agree about checking them when they're cold. And I like to keep them right around 30 PSI. But did you ever notice the following. You check them in the morning when they're cold n then go for a long criuse and they get up to 34 PSI during most of the drive? Man these tires increase in PSI by 2 pounds if you just look at them.

Remo:cool

HI Remo:

The part that confuses me is when they all are at 30 psi cold ......the the lf is 32, rf is 33, rr is 33 and lr is 32 after driving! :confused

Use a good pressure guage (that maxes out at 40 - 60psi not 100 psi) or use an accurate digital guage. Check it cold, set it to 30 psi then check it again hot with the guage. One pound is not a big deal. There are many variables: wheel alignment, number of right vs left turns, road angle, the distribution of weight in the car, etc.

Here is some good tire related reading:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/pressure.jsp
http://www.elephantracing.com/techtopic/tiretemp.htm
http://www.rsracing.com/tech-tire.htm

Ctfoodguy2000 said:
HI Remo:

The part that confuses me is when they all are at 30 psi cold ......the the lf is 32, rf is 33, rr is 33 and lr is 32 after driving! :confused
A lot of things can vary the temperature when the tires warm up. In your example I would say the sun is shining on the right side tires increasing their temp, which in turn increased the pressure by 1 psi.

When I check my tires I always check them when Annie is still in the garage.

I set my tire pressures using my high quality hand held tire guage. This way I am sure I started out even. Each tire/wheel has its own sensor so you basically have 4 different tire guages. My left front always shows 1 lb more than the rest on the DIC even though I uses the same air pump setting to fill them.
Once you start rolling the tires warm at different rates. On the twisties there can be a difference in pressure on each tire and on the hiway the tires seem to all keep close to the same pressure reading. There are many variables as mentioned. Don't get yourself crazy over it. The main reson for the tire monitors is to tell you when there is a pressure loss. You may not feel the pressure loss due to the runflat tires. Well that is until the tire heats up and breaks apart.

Ctfoodguy2000 said:
HI Remo:

Agreed. Mine behaves in much the same way. I don't think it has anything to do with one side in the sun, more tire friction on one than the other or whatever, I think it's just the nature of the beast.

These are $100 tire pressure indicators, not $20 gauges .... :L

Ron ... :w

tire pressure in the EMT's

When I picked up my 04 on July 1, the saleman said that they set the tire pressure at 29 front and 31 rear. The DIC readout agreed with that. It was virtually the same every time I drove it, and they went up a couple of pounds while doing some highway driving. Then we got a real cold snap one morning and the DIC gave me a warning that one front tire was at 25 and I guess that triggered the warning since the other front was at 26. Since winter was just around the corner I boosted the fronts to 31 and the rears to 33. So far so good, no noticeable difference in the ride and things appear to be fine. One front tire does seem to like being one pound different than its brother though.

Just because the sensors cost $100 bucks each doesn't mean they are more accurate than a $20 dollar hand held. The $20 dollar unit doesn't have to be bolted to a wheel and bounce down the highway. It also doesnt have to transmit readings to a computer. I trust my high quality hand held guage for accurate initial readings.:v

Anything more that 30 lbs cold on my 2001 Z51 Coupe makes for a rough ride over small bumps. Amazing what a few pounds more or less does.

bluecoupe said:
Just because the sensors cost $100 bucks each doesn't mean they are more accurate than a $20 dollar hand held. The $20 dollar unit doesn't have to be bolted to a wheel and bounce down the highway. It also doesnt have to transmit readings to a computer. I trust my high quality hand held guage for accurate initial readings.:v
:m so true

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom