Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

tire sensors

frltsta11

Corvette
97 coupe
I took my 97 in to have a pcm module replaced and when I got the car back my tire monitor system for the rear tires didn't work. They said I needed 2 new sensors for my rear tires. The sensors worked fine before I took the car in. Seems strange that both would go out at the same time. Any ideas?

Besides the obvious (PCM ?). I recently took mine in to have them replace a tire sensor. Instead they report on the repair sheet that they reprogrammed it. And it still gives bad pressure readings every once and a while.

Good luck

Hi there,
Based on service information, the PCM will have NO bearing on the actual function of the tire pressure measurement, only the accuracy.
Now, with this in mind, a couple of things may have occured, maybe the programming didnt go as planned, so when they disconnected the battery, they did NOT reprogram the tire pressure sensors.
I would attempt to reprogram the tire pressure sensors first, before shotgunning sensors, especially at $120 a piece.
YoursinCorvette, c4c5:hb

After looking through this site trying to solve a TPM problem, I joined and wanted to ask you (As you seem to be the most knowledgable in this area) about a situation that I have on 1998 C5 convertible. This car has right at 50k miles on it and I just took it for a 300+/- trip this last week. Car worked great and my wife and I enjoyed our trip. After returning, however, and getting in the car a day or two after, I had a low tire reading on the IPC for the Left Rear. I checked the tire with a pencil guage and it showed no such thing (all other IPC tire reading were normal). I read the service manual on reprograming the wheel sensors and did so you using the DIC. The programing went as it was supposed to and the horn chirped in sequence for the programing starting at LF to RF to RR and on to LR. I assumed the problem was solved and got in the car and took it for a test ride. As soon as the vehicle was up to speed I got the Low Tire Reading again BUT THIS TIME it was the RR and NOT the LR (again, all other tire readings showed normal). I drove the car for about 30 to 40 minutes at highway speeds thinking that it may correct itself, but to no avail. I also disconnected the battery in hopes that the system may reset, but, again - NO.
Do you have any ideas ?? My name is Ben and I'm in Lander, Wyoming and will be putting this car to bed for the winter soon, but I've been told I'm a perfectionist and this is really bugging me!!

Thanks - Ben email - nylben@aol.com

Ben,
I would reprogram them again especially since you disconnected the battery. Somtimes it takes 2 or 3 times before it comes out right. Tire sensors are very finicky. As far as the reading changing from LR to RR who knows? I've included a link that gives you the procedure for progamming the sensors. Make sure you follow the steps to the T. Good Luck and let us know how you come out.
http://www.corvetteforum.com/techtips/viewsubtopic.php?SubTopicID=77&TopicID=1

Thanks for the help - I found a bad sensor in the RR and replaced it, so all is well now.

Ben

Reprograming tire sensors

What type of magnet is need to reprogram the tire sensors/ Do i have to reprogram all of them or can i do just the one that is the problem.
thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom