Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire Size...Does it matter?

Corvette
1975 Red on RED Coupe
Had a question about tires. My 75 has p245 r15 all the way around. On a hard turn ,either way they rub the rear part of the wheel well. I was thinking about putting p235 s on the front and leaving the rears at 245. I don't want to lay out the cash on a new set of wheels yet (thinking I'll go to 16 or 17 inch wheels in the future) does anyone see a problem with this setup? For the time being.

I run a 255/60/15 in the rear and 235/60/15 on the front of my 69, which has less clearance than your car should. The fender gap will be a little bit bigger, but other than that you probably won't notice any difference. Your current tires should not rub anywhere, is your suspension worn out?? That could cause you some problems.

The suspension is suspect. I'm starting a front end rebuild in a couple of weeks, along with new body mounts , followed by a rear suspension rebuild. I'll wait on the tires to see if the clearences come back after that.
Thanks Jim

I have a 75 also and it had 255-60-15 tires. They rubbed on the fenders during a tight turn. Replaced the idler arm and ball joints and they still rubbed. Replaced the tires with 225-70-15 Goodyear Eagle RSA's and the problem went away. These tires made a positive change to handling and steering.

Still, on a tight turn, the tires come very close to the fenders but not close enough to touch...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom