Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire size for a c-4

Corvette
1979 Bright Red L-82
:confused On my 88 all the tires are the same size in 17 inch........on my friends 95 they have one size on the front and a bigger tire on the rear. When did they change to diff. size tires on the c-4 and why.....Just wondering.....:confused

93 was the change to skinny front tires - except on the ZO7/Z51 optioned cars.

The skinny tires (if you call 255/45-17s skinny) have less wander on rough and wavy roads and they produce a little more understeer - i.e.: as safer, more comfortable car for the average driver. The boy-racer types that ordered the ZO7 (or Z51 in 96) got the same size tires all around like your 88 and my 92.

They also used the slightly larger 285/40 on the rear with the 255 on the front. The ZO7 and Z51 cars got 275's all around.

Hope this helps.

Hey Daryllawman!
You either have a Z51 or Z52 car to get the 17's on an 88 or someone upgraded on their own from a non Z car. Mine has 285's out back and 275's in front and it works for me.

More important is to match the tire diameters on all four corners; the 255/285 are the same diameter, 275/275, and 275/315 are, too. The reason is to assure that ABS works correctly. ABS does not perform as well with tires that are rotating at different RPM. That is why the tire size matches above are the only ones that Chevy recommends for later C4s. I think that your owners manual warns about this.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom