Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire Size Opinions Needed

R

rhodginz

I have a 1995 Coupe with standard sawblades front and rear. The standard tires are: Front - 255/45-17 and Rear - 285/40-17.
What is your opinion of running 275/40-17 all the way around the car? Can this even be done with standard rims? This way I could rotate the tires and get much greater mileage out of a set of 4 tires. A side benefit is that I might be able to lower my tire cost.

My driving is very average, and just drive around town on the weekends. The car is never pressed very hard - except occasionally in a straight line from 0-60 or so... no racing or anything like that. In fact there is very little hard cornering. The car is driven almost like the average family sedan, but maybe just a little faster...

Any and all opinions are appreciated!

go to 274/40 on the rear, stick with the 255's up front... you can't rotate the wheels front and back so you would have to re-mount and balance the tires... that is very cost prohibitive, and frankly, 275's on the smaller rim looks stupid... Also, 255's are usually much cheaper anyway... get tires you can go from side to side on if you want to rotate (basically, just don't get goodyear GSC's)...

-Another option would be to get a couple of used rims and go 275 all around...

I believe they made the tires thinner up front to accomade the thinner rim width a little better. I would recommend just keeping the stock tire size on the car. From the way you described your driving habits you probably won't be changing/ buying new tires that much.

Jay

Tire sizes

I put 285/40/17s all the way around on my C4 with 9.5 in ZR1 wheels all the way around. They look Awesome! Killer Stance.
Just my 2 cents worth

I run and rotate 315-35x17" in all corners.

:w

In '93 Chevy changed the tire sizes from 275/40/17 all around to 255/ in front and 285/ in the rear to enhance trasitional handling and perhaps for other reasons. I'm having trouble finding the article in my very disorganized library.
Anyways, you can change to 275's or 285's all around without any problems. You will have to find another of 9.5" rims for the front which shouldn't be to hard.
I'm throwing in a tire recomendation as I've been very happy with my current car shoes. Buy Kuhmo Ecsta MX tires. They wear a little fast, but they stick like glue. Quiet and smooth, too. $156 each at the Tire Rack.

Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom