Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tire size

Thnx for the pix. Looks like it puts alot of rubber on the asphalt. Dave :beer

ACORVETTE81REDCORVETTE81REDCORVE-1.jpg

:w

You can go bigger!

I have 255 50's on the front and 295 50 on the rear. Gives it a pretty good mean look. When I was at the tire dealer we were test fitting the 295's and it didnt look like they would clear in the rear. But once we put it down on the ground and got the suspension to go back to normal they cleared just fine.

One issue I have had is balancing. They put the stick on weights. The thickness of the weights was too much and it would hit the caliper. Had to go back and get the hammer on side weights.

Just my thoughts.....

c3cvte, Thnx for the info. Would you have a pix of how that looks with the 50'S . It is another thought. Dave:beer

:w

Pretty much have decided on the 255/60/ 15. Now just trying to figure which tires i'll go with. Firehawk's, Eagle GT 2"s or BF Goodrich Radial TA's. :BDH

:boogie

My wife's car came with the 225/70s and when I replaced them we used Goodyear Eagle STs in the same size. I'm not even sure those are available any more but the lettering closely matched the originals. I like the more aggressive look of the 255/60s though. You shouldn't have any clearance problems with stock suspension height. I have been reading tire reviews for a while and have decided to get the Firestone Firehawks for my truck project. They get good reviews and are available in the sizes I need. (235/60 front and 255 or 275/60 rear) They are also available in black raised letters If you don't care for the white letters.

Tom

They, in fact, do not offer the ST's anymore. I believe the GT II's were the replacement.

-Tatortot

Grand AM

When I was looking for a replacement tire I was trying to find something with a decent speed rating. As I'm sure most you know its really hard to find a performance tire in a 15" now days. Well of course the BFG TA is always available. I went with a Les Schwab Tire Store (north west only I think) Grand AM. It has outstanding dry weather traction and ok wet weather. If you were have your car as a daily driver I wouldn't suggest it (especially up here in wet Washington) but if you only roll it out on those sunny days I'm completely happy. And the cost is less then the BFG.

I have the FE7 suspension which gives a little higher front end height. I've never had a problem with the 255's which were OEM on it.
Sorry no side view of the front!
JU
GT4.jpg

Higgins Lake!
I grew up in Saginaw and lived on the Saginaw Bay in the summer!

I was close to buying my first Vette in Higgins Lake..an ontario orange '73 t-top with chrome hooker side pipes....it had a big block and I was worried about insurance and gas.....;shrug
JU
vettee.jpg

John , small world . Did you come up to Higgins Lake much? Still pretty quiet here, not much has changed. Great area to cruz in the summer. We lived up in the U.P. before here, Cooper Harbor. Great in the summer up there but boy did it know how to snow in the winter. The first year we lived up there they had 360 inches of snow. YIKES. Anyway nice car you have John , if you ever get back over this way stop by. Dave :beer

:boogie

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom