Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tires advice

jcs44

Corvette
2003 Z06 Torch Red/Black
I need to get some tires, at least for the rear. Right now I have Goodyear run flats and I'm not going to spend the money for those again. The fronts are probably good for another 6-10K. If I keep the Goodyears on the front for a while, does it matter what I put on the rear? What do you think of Kumhos?

JCS44
LT4 Vert, triple black

Track, autox, street?

I like Kumho.

Mixing run-flats and regular tires can generate some odd handling characterics. I would not recommend it.

I like GoodYear F1 D3 tires - not run-flats.

Goodyear F1 GS D3s.

Tire Rack sells them.

Awesome tire.

Put them on the rear first.

Then, when it is convenient for you, put them on the front.

SAVE THE WAVE! :w

Ive been looking for my LT1 as well and the best I came up with are the Kuhmo MX's or the ASX's. I looked at tread pattern and reviews from the tirerack site and this forum. For the price, I dont see where you could beat them.

I'm running 295/18 MX Kuhmo's on my 96 LT4 and luv them. Quite and sticky. Can't beat the price either. I've only put 3k miles on them but tread life seems really good too.

I got the summos and like em. They have a newer design to them that makes look even better. And yes they stick like glue!

I've got Summitomos also. For the price they seem to be a very good tire. Very sticky and good wet traction. Only had them on for about 3K miles but they seem to be holding up very well. I think the Tirerack has them for $77 front (275/40R17) and $107 rear (315/35R17). They weren't my first choice, but they came with the wheels, so I figured what the heck.

:w
G

I had Kumho's (actually on HrtBeat's current Vette). I thought they were a good all-around street tire and great for the money.

Although, if you can get a tire for $77 I'd go with that... you can't beat that price with a baseball bat!

Vettelt193 said:
I had Kumho's (actually on HrtBeat's current Vette). I thought they were a good all-around street tire and great for the money.

Those still have plenty of tread and ride very well also. The wheels were in such good shape I figured I would store the OEM's and outfit her with 11" out back. Got the wheels and tires as a set but I'm happy with them so far.

:w
G

Tires

I also have the GoodYear Eagle F1 D3 on my LT4. TireRack has them for just over $200.00 each, a Great price for a good tire. I have tried several different brands in the last 7 years and I liked the Michelin Pilot Sports the best but they were so soft and did not last as long as the Bridgestone Pontenza RE730 and were too expensive. So far I like the GoodYears I have now and the rear 285/40/17 GoodYear was 1 inch wider across the tread than the Bridgestone. I also could NOT find ANY brand of Run Flats that will fit a 96 LT4 Coupe with stock size tires.

Ive been looking for my LT1 as well and the best I came up with are the Kuhmo MX's or the ASX's. I looked at tread pattern and reviews from the tirerack site and this forum. For the price, I dont see where you could beat them.

I definatly agree The ASX's are fantastic.Quite and excellent tread wear and the price is right..

i still have my emt's......of course i don't have any miles on them.......
i did replace the rears 2x after i burned them into streetslicks...1/4 miles 'll do that....

Tires

I have been happy with the Kuhmo's my LT4.

I've had the Kumho MXs on mine for about 8000 miles. They are okay....no real complaints other than the flatspotting. I'll be going with BFG's when these wear out. Looks like about another 8000 miles to go.....

I started this thread months ago and just this week bought tires, but now my Goodyear EMTs on the rear are down to the wear bar. After a lot of research, I've ordered the BFG g-Force KDW from Discount Tires. You pretty much can't beat this tire for $137 ea including shipping.

JCS44
96LT4 Vert, Triple Black

i still have my emt's......of course i don't have any miles on them.......
i did replace the rears 2x after i burned them into streetslicks...1/4 miles 'll do that....

You must have had your replacement rears a while, as I have looked everywhere for run flats for a 96 LT4. None to be found in our sizes. I really am happy with my GoodYear Eagle F1 D3.

I just had Sumitomo HTR-Z's put on the front. Got them from Tirerack.com for less than $100 per tire including shipping. I like them and haven't had any problems with them. I plan on putting them on the rear in the spring.

Jim

I totally agree

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom