Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Tires for my 1974 corvette

guggie

Corvette
74, coupe
I have a 1974 corvette with P225/70R15 Firehawk Indy 500 tires that rub the body bolts inside the fender on the left side in sharp turns. I see that Coker tire has a Firestone G70-15 wide ovals that would match my original tire size but I don't believe they are radials. What I was wondering is there a
GR70-15 out there that would match the originals or what size can I get that do not rub?

Wrong bolts

If a 225/70/15 tire is rubbing then so would the original GR70/15. Look elsewhere. Wrong wheels? Bent frame or suspension?

Back in 1990 I had a van back into the left front corner and the fender had to be replaced. The body shop put in three hex head bolts that hold on the steering gear instead of the carriage type bolts that are standard. I believe the must have miss placed them the pringinals or something. But my problem is solved. Mickey was right about the tire sizes. The P225 diameter is 27" and the GR70-15 are 27.4 which I would not believe would rub if the correct bolts were there. I also found that there is a radial made in the GR70-15 size which is a Goodyear Steelgard with raised white lettering. I did not call the location to see if they were still available. Thanks Mickey for your input it made me dig deeper.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom