Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tires,jack,lug wrench?

TOMMAY

Corvette
74 L48,MM Red
We just got a 74 and it has not a sign of anything relating to changing a tire.

Are the originals full size or some kind of space saver?If you wanted to carry a space saver,is there one that would work?Are the jacks and lug wrenches available anywhere?As a temp measure would a bottle jack work or would they not provide enough lift?

What about tires?The present tires are 235/60r15s and they don't look tall enough?would 275/60r15s fit in the wheelwells?

Sorry for such basic questions.I've ordered an owners manual and an assembly manual and some catalogs but they haven't arrived yet.

Thanks,Tom

There was a full spare slung up under the rear end, real obvious if your looking. The jack was behind the seats in one of the little cubby holes I think.

Tires were originally about what comes out to 225/70/15's, so yours may well look alittle short, but will handle better. You could always lower it slightly to match. :)

There's a link to specs by year model here somewhere that list's original tire size.

Thanks,yeah,there's a spare tire carrier in the rear,just no spare and the storage space behind the seat is empty except for the battery.

The orig tires were GR70 by 15's.I thought I read some where that 275/60's would work but that on some models there might be some interference with the front wheel well.I was just trying to find out for sure.

Thanks again,Tom

I'm sure someone here can tell you what will fit. I will run something larger than the 225/70 next time. The car is driven by a woman, but it would have looked better with more tire in there.

:)

Wolf,

Ooh, that 'driven by a woman' comment is bound to come back and bite you in the butt . . .

Tom, as for the jack . . . my 75 has the original jack and handle. They are in the rear storage area on the left side of the car, right behind the passenger seat. I do not believe that a bottle jack will fit under the car at the approved jacking points. Even my hydraulic floor jack can be a little bit of a problem, as I found out last Friday when I took a self tapping screw in the right rear tire. Reproductions of the original jacks are available from a variety of vendors . . . places like Corvette Central, Jegs, Doctor Rebuild, etc. They are not terribly expensive and I have heard that the quality is generally quite good.

Concerning tire size, I had a similar question that I posted earlier today. Chris (69myway) came back with some very good information concerning sizing. He has actual experience with tire sizes on C3s, which he was kind enough to share. Take a look at my thread on tire sizes posted this afternoon (Monday).

I have absolutely no idea where to begin looking for a space saver spare for a C3. However, wheels that will fit are pretty much a dime a dozen and most any tire store will sell you a used tire with acceptable tread left on it for a spare. Usually, you can pick one up for ten bucks or so. Used to run used tires on the front of my dune buggy, since in that application they get pretty torn up . . . so it didn't cost me a fortune keeping new (er) shoes on it. Plus, who wants to spend 100 bucks on a spare tire for your Vette unless it is going to be judged.

I hope some of this information helps.

BTW, I mentioned that I had a flat on my 75 last Friday. I need to express appreciation and put in a plug for the folks that fixed it. Out here in Southern California, we have a tire chain named Discount Tire. I have dealt with them in the past on one occasion. Anyhow, they have a store right around the corner from my home. I took the Vette tire down to get it fixed. They accomplished the task in less than ten minutes and when I went to pay, they refused to accept money!! Their policy is to fix tires, regardless of who you bought them from . . . only asking that you consider them when it's time to replace your tires. I swear, you just don't get that kind of service anymore, at least not from very many places. This phenomenon may be isolated to this particular location, but as a man who's wallet squeaks when he walks, the gesture was greatly appreciated.

Just my two cents . . .

Ron

My car had the original jack and handle when I got the car. I put it away because it looked kinda wobbly to me. I currently use a small bottle jack and a telescoping lug wrench that stores in the original location. The bottle jack works great.

I can only fit 255xx tires on my car, especially the front, without rubbing. I still have the original spare in the tub, its in good shape, that is there only for emergencies, it never gets used otherwise.

I don't know about the 74, but in my 80, the jack and handle are in the passenger side rear compartment, but under the plastic bin that sits in there. You may have something similar where you have to lift out the bin, then the jack is in a hold down underneath.

Steve :w

Thanks for the replies,looks like it'l be 255s on the front and 275's on the rear.28 inches rear and about 27 inches in front should be just about right to fill the wheelwells.I just don't like the ultra low profile look,guess it's the hillbilly in me.

Think I'll make up a small tool kit for tire changing and look for a bottle jack or a small scissor jack that will stand under the frame, with a small plywood square for it to rest on for support,and give enough lift to raise the tire off the ground.This should all fit neatly in the storage compartment behind the pass seat.Now I just got to find a spare and we're good to go,plan on doing a lot of driving in this car.

Just saw Steves reply,thanks,but my jack is missing along with the storage bins,all i got is the doors over the storage compartment,guess I'll add the storage bins to my list of stuff to buy.Sure am glad we got this car for the wife,now maybe she'll let me spend some more money on my old big block Silverado I'm rebuilding.

Good Luck

Tom

Jack and Jack Handle

Tommay, when I bought my 73 it had no jack or handle. I bought one from "Just Corvettes" for $130 for both items. Corvette World also has these at about the same price. This sissors jack is the same used from 1968 - 82.
Gary

Where's the jack?

Thanks to "sac001" I found my jack . I just bought my'79 coupe and had not read"the instuctions". I thought I had bought a car without a jack. Thanks for the help Steve.

Glad I could help. I've gained so much from this forum, its nice to contribute. :beer

Steve :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom