Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Tires

Flyboy

Corvette
2014 cyber gray metallic Stingray
I have several questions about tires. The C7 comes standard with Michelin run flat tires and I am considering switching to conventional tires. I have multiple reasons for doing this, but will generalize it to the following. Run flats have a stiff and relatively non-responive feel, a rough ride, noisy, and are expensive to replace (least important). This is my first Corvette so I have no real comparison with standard type tires on it. I have a John Cooper Works mini that came standard with run flats which I despised. I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires. I love these tires, they handle well, they are all season, they eliminated a lot of the road noise, and the ride is vastly improved. Since the mini like the Corvette does not have a spare I carry a plug kit and a small 12 volt pump in the event I pick up a nail, etc. I also carry a couple of the big cans of Slime if I cannot get the plug to seal. This is dire emergency use only. I will add that the mini comes with a complimentary 4 year emergency roadside assistance package that is wonderful. I have only used it once, but they sent a rollback out at no charge and hauled it to the dealership for servicing! Hopefully, some veteran 'Vette members can provide me with some insight. I use the tires on the mini when I take it to the track and the handling is vastly superior to the original run flats as well. I do not plan to track the 'Vette.

If you change to non-run-flats - send me the OEM tires that came on your C7.
I don't have a C7 yet but I'll take the run flats.

Do not change to non-run flat tires.

The 2014 was designed with RFTs and, if you put on non-RFTs, at-limit handling will likely suffer .

Also, the days of RFTs with really stiff casings went out with C5. In each successive generation of Corvettes which have used RFTs, the casings have gotten softer.

Lastly, DO NOT use "slime" in tires on Corvette wheels as it destroys the LPTWS sensors.

Thanks

Thank you for the useful information. The mini also has sensors, but I did not realize that it would damage them. I knew it was bad for aluminum, but basically forgot about the sensors. I will save it for use for the farm equipment!

I can't speak to the types of sensors BMW puts in Mini wheels but I do know there have been numersous cases of people using "fix a flat" type products in Corvette wheels with sesnors only to find the sensors quit working.

As for RFTs on C7s, there was an article on the C7 tire in a recent issue of "Corvette Magazine." I believe it was the October issue. The story will explain some of the design features of the C7 tire one might not want to give up.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom