Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tires

Antz81

Corvette
1981 4 speed
How often do people normally replace their tires for their C3's?
Mine are almost 10 years old now but I think it might be about time for a new set. I had to take my 81 to work the other day as my modern reliable car wouldn't start.:chuckle It was a wet day and I found that my rears were slipping a bit. There is one point were I come to a stop sign and then turn left up a hill, I was going easy on it since the engine was still cold and I was in no rush, but the tires still spun quite easily when starting off and again on gear changes. While it was a bit of fun it's not ideal when you can't see whats about to start coming down the hill. So probably time for a new set.

What about tire choices? I can get Hercules tires locally for US$235(fitted) per tire (255/60R15). But how do they compare with others (performance and price)?
I could also purchase tires from the USA and get them shipped over.

Well, I have Firestone Fire Hawk Indy 500-225/70/15. They are old, but the sidewalls are still good, and for the most part, so is the tread. I moved the fronts to the back because when I bought the car, it was sooo out of alignment, that the inner tread on the fronts were badly warn.

Now as for traction in the rain, I believe it's better to have an open differential, than posi. It's easier to break loose, and slide sideways. It happened to me back in the 70's, I pulled out on a wet road in my 68 Charger R/T, and did a complete 360*. When I completed the circle, I was watching a large truck wheel hopping to a stop. It was pretty scary. The reason I am telling you this story, is this (posi traction) maybe why, or partly why you lost traction in the rain.

Now as for traction in the rain, I believe it's better to have an open differential, than posi. It's easier to break loose, and slide sideways. It happened to me back in the 70's, I pulled out on a wet road in my 68 Charger R/T, and did a complete 360*. When I completed the circle, I was watching a large truck wheel hopping to a stop. It was pretty scary. The reason I am telling you this story, is this (posi traction) maybe why, or partly why you lost traction in the rain.

Interesting. Thanks for the input:)

Just a bit for further info on my tires. They are a Delta Road Max. Pruduction date: Week 28 2007

AntZ81
I inspect mine visually for cracking etc.

Where I used to work; a lady and her husband bought an used RV, the tires had no visible cracks. She said due to armor-all. On their maiden voyage; they had 2 blowouts. They went to get tires and the technician said did you know these tires are over 10 years old? Her husband said they look good.The technician flipped the tire over and the frame side of the tires had cracks..
This is according to her; I never saw the tires. IMO, they were driving at interstate speeds. Although everyone does it; no tire manufacturer recommends it with a camper.

AntZ81
I inspect mine visually for cracking etc.

Where I used to work; a lady and her husband bought an used RV, the tires had no visible cracks. She said due to armor-all. On their maiden voyage; they had 2 blowouts. They went to get tires and the technician said did you know these tires are over 10 years old? Her husband said they look good.The technician flipped the tire over and the frame side of the tires had cracks..
This is according to her; I never saw the tires. IMO, they were driving at interstate speeds. Although everyone does it; no tire manufacturer recommends it with a camper.

Developing cracks on the tire sidewall depends on the quality of the tire, exposure to ozone, where you store it. I am probably missing other variables, But if you believe your tires are unsafe due to their age, or tread wear, then you should replace them. I know tires are expensive, but saving a life, or preventing an accident is priceless.

Developing cracks on the tire sidewall depends on the quality of the tire, exposure to ozone, where you store it. I am probably missing other variables, But if you believe your tires are unsafe due to their age, or tread wear, then you should replace them. I know tires are expensive, but saving a life, or preventing an accident is priceless.

You are well past 100% correct. I read somewhere that ozone cracking is where it begins; then, potentially dry rot starts.

There are a lot of sites that confirm what you said.. This one discusses oxygen damage: Tire Dry Rot: How it Happens and How to Protect Your Tires Car Storage

Another cause is under inflating tires. I used to do a lot of surf fishing and the stock G or H 70 snow tires were too aggressive for running on the sand. Same as everyone else I lowered the air pressure. The practice was so common the National Park Service provided a air filling station where 4WDs exited the sand. The sidewalls cracked in about 2 seasons.

I do believe they are coming up to the age where they should just be replaced. Tread is fine, but that doesn't mean the tire is still good.

Anyone had any experience with the Hercules tires that I can get locally? Are they any good? And is that a good price? (Price include fitting, balancing and new valves)

I do believe they are coming up to the age where they should just be replaced. Tread is fine, but that doesn't mean the tire is still good.

Anyone had any experience with the Hercules tires that I can get locally? Are they any good? And is that a good price? (Price include fitting, balancing and new valves)

I have no experience with Hercules tires, but I do know that we suggest replacing tire between 7-10 years of age using the build date on the tire sidewall, even if the tread is like new. At 7-10 years old you cannot tell how stable a tire is by doing a visual on the outside. 10 years old from the build date I would replace them.

Antz,
I'd do a search for Hercules tires and reviews. .

Personally I go strong on speed rating; not that I plan on going that fast.. ;)

Hercules is tied to Cooper Tire.

Hercules and Cooper Tire Celebrate 50 Year Anniversary Together

FINDLAY, OHIO, JULY 28, 2010 - This year Hercules Tire and COOPER TIRE & RUBBER COMPANY (NYSE:CTB) marked 50 years as partners in the tire business together. Both companies recently celebrated this significant milestone with Hercules dealers at the Hercules dealer incentive trip in Hawaii.

Hercules Tire & Rubber Company is a leading marketer of replacement tires, distributing its Hercules and associate brands around the globe. Cooper Tire manufactures the Hercules brand in addition to Cooper and other associate and private label brands. Together, both companies have been involved in the manufacture and distribution of millions of passenger and light truck tires to independent tire dealers across the United States and around the world.

Cooper Tire & Rubber Company - News Releases

Didn't know Hercules and Coopers were linked, and I don't trust Coopers on my Vette. I hear ads for them on the radio all the time, but just don't think that they provide the grip since they keep saying that they'll last longer. From what I know about tires its normally a trade off between grip and endurance.

I'm now thinking of Importing some BF Goodrich tires, I think I can get them here and fitted for around the same price. I know they are a tried and trusted tire. For the Hercules I can find plenty of reviews which say that they are a good tire, but only a couple from Corvette owners one of which was to complain that the 6 year old tire failed.

Couple of random thoughts here. Have no data to support this, but to me, it seems as a tire ages, it tends to lose it grip. Guessing that as the rubber ages, it hardens. My cars are not daily drivers, more like monthly drivers. BFG suggests that if you don;t use your car on a regular basis, to air your tires up to 42 psi to keep them from flat spotting. The higher pressure will tend to show age cracking in the sidewall sooner. I replace my tires at first sign of aging or every 8-10 years. Way back in 1979, I had a Firestone 500 on my 9,000 mile '78 let go while running 65-70 mph. The blowout took the rear fender and part of the bumper cover off. Repair came out of my pocket as it wasn't Chevrolet fault, wasn't Firestone's fault and wasn't covered by insurance. Point is, if you suspect your tires are approaching their expiration date, you could be saving yourself money with new tires.

I think highly of the BFG TA Radials, as that is the only tire I will buy for my toys.

Couple of random thoughts here. Have no data to support this, but to me, it seems as a tire ages, it tends to lose it grip. Guessing that as the rubber ages, it hardens. My cars are not daily drivers, more like monthly drivers. BFG suggests that if you don;t use your car on a regular basis, to air your tires up to 42 psi to keep them from flat spotting. The higher pressure will tend to show age cracking in the sidewall sooner. I replace my tires at first sign of aging or every 8-10 years. Way back in 1979, I had a Firestone 500 on my 9,000 mile '78 let go while running 65-70 mph. The blowout took the rear fender and part of the bumper cover off. Repair came out of my pocket as it wasn't Chevrolet fault, wasn't Firestone's fault and wasn't covered by insurance. Point is, if you suspect your tires are approaching their expiration date, you could be saving yourself money with new tires.

I think highly of the BFG TA Radials, as that is the only tire I will buy for my toys.

I believe you are correct about the rubber hardening as it ages, which reduces grip. Interesting about the increased pressure, I assume they would say to deflate the tires back to the correct pressure when the car in in use.

I have ordered a set of BFGs now. They will arrive at the same time as my new springs. It's a little bit of an extreme while I'm here I might as well do this too:chuckle

I replaced the tires on the '81 last year due to age. The Eagle ST tires on the car were 12 years or more old but still looked new. I just didn't feel good driving on them anymore. We put on B F Goodrich. They seemed to be the best choice of the very few brands that make our sizes. I have only driven it a few times since and they feel good.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom