Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tires

try2pas

Corvette
1972- original; 1980 - restomod; 2016 - Z06
I have to buy another set of tires tomorrow, I guess. I see the CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT SPORT are now available besides the Michelin Pilot Super Sport which came with the car. The Continentals are NOT run flat but are about 2/3rds the price of the Michlelins. Do we need run- flats? Are the Continentals as sticky as the Michelins? Sticky is good for the track but not good on the road as they really pick up all the gravel. Do the Continentals offer the mileage of the Michelins which is poor to start with? My left front Michelin had 4/32ands tread left, and it comes new with about 7.5/32ands, and it basically "blew" as all the air came out at once. I only have 15,000 miles on the car. Dare I mix brands like getting new Continentals for the front and leaving the Michelins in the rear as they still have about 5/32ands tread left. The book says to get new tires when you have 2/32ands left and the wear bar shows. Will we in the future have more tires to choose from as the C6 Z06 has about 7 different tire brands to choose from besides 2 track only brands. WHATDAYATHINK?

Same question

I'll need tires in a few months and want a NON runflat tire. I don't know of any tire better than the Michelins but are open to looking at others.

Quite a few new cars come with a DC air compressor and a can of fix a flat instead of a spare in the trunk. Her S60 Volvo did and so did others. I added the same to my C5 and we have triple A .;)
With non-run flats, my Corvette handles and hooks up better.

Run flats offer a degree of security that conventional tires don't. It's one of those opinion situations.

Run Flat tires basically suck in my opinion and in the past have avoided them like the plague. That's what a plug kit and / or AAA is for. I'll risk having a flat to gain better performance and just as important a much quieter ride. The tire noise this 15 Z06 I bought is terrible.

Quite a few new cars come with a DC air compressor and a can of fix a flat instead of a spare in the trunk. Her S60 Volvo did and so did others. I added the same to my C5 and we have triple A .;)
With non-run flats, my Corvette handles and hooks up better.

Run flats offer a degree of security that conventional tires don't. It's one of those opinion situations.

I don't understand. They said 2 days to get my tires. Tomorrow it will be 10 days and only 3 tires came today. If I had been out of town I'd be running up big motel bills. There are really only two tires available for the Z06 and GS. The Continentals haven't made the rear tires yet. No one has these tires in stock. I called several tire outfits and Chevrolet dealers and no one has them in stock. Why not? The Stingray has 27 tires to choose from and the Z51 has 15 tires to choose from. Likely someone would have something in stock for those 2 cars. Again, the Z06 and GS have two tires to choose from. Why? And there are no all season for the same. Why not? Most of us don't race and the ones that do, like myself, it's maybe1% of the time. I am simply appalled at the no choice in tires and the unavailability of those 2 tires. What is GM thinking?

I don't understand. They said 2 days to get my tires. Tomorrow it will be 10 days and only 3 tires came today. If I had been out of town I'd be running up big motel bills. There are really only two tires available for the Z06 and GS. The Continentals haven't made the rear tires yet. No one has these tires in stock. I called several tire outfits and Chevrolet dealers and no one has them in stock. Why not? The Stingray has 27 tires to choose from and the Z51 has 15 tires to choose from. Likely someone would have something in stock for those 2 cars. Again, the Z06 and GS have two tires to choose from. Why? And there are no all season for the same. Why not? Most of us don't race and the ones that do, like myself, it's maybe1% of the time. I am simply appalled at the no choice in tires and the unavailability of those 2 tires. What is GM thinking?

Try Pirelli Pzeros IMG_2111.jpg Same sizes as the Cups AND they have tread! :upthumbs

Run-flats

I have to buy another set of tires tomorrow, I guess. I see the CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT SPORT are now available besides the Michelin Pilot Super Sport which came with the car. The Continentals are NOT run flat but are about 2/3rds the price of the Michlelins. Do we need run- flats? Are the Continentals as sticky as the Michelins? Sticky is good for the track but not good on the road as they really pick up all the gravel. Do the Continentals offer the mileage of the Michelins which is poor to start with? My left front Michelin had 4/32ands tread left, and it comes new with about 7.5/32ands, and it basically "blew" as all the air came out at once. I only have 15,000 miles on the car. Dare I mix brands like getting new Continentals for the front and leaving the Michelins in the rear as they still have about 5/32ands tread left. The book says to get new tires when you have 2/32ands left and the wear bar shows. Will we in the future have more tires to choose from as the C6 Z06 has about 7 different tire brands to choose from besides 2 track only brands. WHATDAYATHINK?
I have had C5 ,C6,& C7 all with oem run flats.Each car had at least one bad tire experiance! Trying home at 80mph with ZERO air pressure or a tire with fist size hole in side wall take you all the way home on a hot day.Anyone has the option of run-flats for purchase and cheaps out is nuts go buy a ford focus w/dounut tire. Spend the money you have America's best handling car why mess when it's the BEST !

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom