Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tires

DocAcumen

Corvette
2000 FRC Torch Red
I would like to say hey to all here, as I am new to this place. And also a new owner of a 2000 H/T. (just under 20K on her!)

1st) I would like to know what is the excpected mileage on the F1 EMT tires?

2nd) How much wider tire can one go to on the stock rims? (If at all?) With out any complications.

3rd) What would y'all recomend for replacements? (Size, brand, and where to buy from?)

4th) I have no plans to race, I just like a FAT tire look, and run flats are not needed.

Hope y'all do not find this to look to much like a poll? But, as I said I am new here. And I did not want to step on any toes with my post. Some places take posts by newbies, in the wrong way.;)

I have searched around for my answers, before I posted this. But, I have yet anywhere to find my answers? I hope y'all can assist me?

TIA for any help! ;) :upthumbs

Welcome to the CAC forum. If you have questions this is the place.

1. Tire Mileage........Don't know how you drive! Drive normal = 30K
2. Stay with the factory sizes (my .02). Vettes have one of the highest lateral G-force numbers with the tires from the factory.
3. see #2
4. see #2
You might check prices at "The Tire Rack" TireRack.com I think.
Good luck.
:beer :w

Hi Doc,

Congrats on the 2000. What does EMT mean? Are those the same as the F1 Supercar tires? My F1 SC's are showing lots of wear after only 14k miles :(

You will never, ever step on any toes here with your questions, no matter how "newbie" they may seem. That is what makes the CAC a nice place to hang out :)

By the way, that is a cool screen name :upthumbs

Tammy

EMT is the Extended Mobility Tire or run flat that is standard equipment on the C5. The F1 SC that is on the Z06 is a softer tire which means it will wear faster.

The stock EMT tires are not necessarily the best tire for the application because they came with the car. They provide decent performance with the ability to drive 200 miles on 0 PSI if you get a flat. Since there is no spare this is how GM provided a way for you to get to a repair facility if you loose pressure.

There are compromises that are made by including the EMT's as stock. The harder rubber and reinforced sidewall provide a harder tire that doesn't stick as well at the limits and also tends to produce more road noise. An alternate tire can provide lower noise and better dry and wet performance at the expense of loosing the run flat capability.

Personally I have Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Positions on my C5 and am very happy with wet and dry performance. Ordered through Tire Rack and mounted locally.

Good luck with your decision.

Leon

The milage that you get with your tires will depend on how hard they are driven. It is quite possible to wear a set out in a day or two with racetrack use. Autocross, drag racing etc will take a toll. Also, I wore one set of front tires on the inside couple of inches because of the negative camber. I had the camber set closer to zero after that.

I recently put on some Pirelli P-Zero Neros. There was a big difference in the ride over the EMT. Where are you located at in the midsouth?

Thanks for the replies. All be it that I still have no real answers? LOL!

I am located in MS. just outside Memphis.

Doc,

I recently went through the process of evaluating alternatives for my 2001 convertible. Here are my answers to your questions:

I got 48,000 - that's right forty-eight thousand - miles out of my OEM Goodyear Eagle F1 GS EMT tires. All wore pretty evenly, and when I got down to the wear bars, I replaced them. The guy at the Goodyear shop where the tires were installed was floored when I told him they were the original tires! I use my car for commuting ~100miles round trip on fairly open freeways. I generally hit 80-85 each way, and would have sustained it more were it not for the diligence of the California Highway Patrol. My main objection to the tires was the noise, and I keep a puncture repair kit (to limp to the nearest tire store) and a 12v compressor in the storage compartment. I figure the Z06s go without runflats, so can I.

In looking at the alternatives, I felt that for personal comfort (sound) reasons, I would try non-runflats. After extensive research, I finally decided on Goodyear F1 GS D3s. They're not runflats, but the quieter ride is fantastic - I can again have a conversation with a passenger. The tread design on the GS D3 maintains the illusion of a fat tire, even keeping the stock sizes. Additionally, the V-grooves chanel water away, and during a heavy downpour when the tires were new, I did not detect any hydroplaning even at 65+MPH.
gy_eagle_f1_gsd3_ci1_l.jpg

Tire rack has a review of these tires, and they have exceptional wet-traction. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/gy_f1_gs_d3.jsp They're rated slightly lower for treadwear than the OEM EMTs, but they're also a lot cheaper. (F1 GS EMTs will run ~ $1,400 a set, installed)

When I bought tires about 4 months ago, Tire Rack had the GS D3s for $1,004 for OEM sizes, including shipping. Mounting and balancing was extra. When I called my local Goodyear center (in Campbel, CA, who was also the TireRack preferred installer), they quoted me $823 - installed, including CA sales tax. America's Tire Company/Discount Tire quoted me $1,044. That decision was easy.

I then had my first day at the track - about 60 laps; 3 miles, 15 turns. The tires handled beautifully, and have held up well. I think I shed a bit more material than my OEM brethren, but the traction and lateral stability were fantastic. The only thing that stuck better were slicks.

Anyway, that's my opinion. Good luck with your search.

Craig-o

Do you know of any good Vette mechanics in the Memphis area?

Crraig-0, Thanks for you reply. That is more what I was looking to hear.:)

That is the tire I am looking at, at this time. They can be bought through Walmart also, at about the same price. And, with the tread type, I think it would give a fat tire look at stock sizes.

GKrenn, I can not help you on that. This is my first Vette, and I am somewhat new to the area. Sorry.:(

Craig-o, glad you enjoy the GS-D3's. I put a set of these on the front of my '95 vert and the wet traction is incredible compared to the GS-C's that came on the car. I was looking to replace the Potenza's there were on the C5 when we got it with the GS-D3s but Tirerack didn't have them in stock. I went with the Potenza Pole Positions again and am very happy with them. TireRack rated the Potenza a little better in dry traction while GS-D3 rated a little better in wet traction. Since the Potenza was in stock and I was impressed with the performance that is what I went with.

I still have GS-C's on the rear of my 95 but plan on replacing them with the same GS-D3's when the time comes.

Leon

Hey, DocAcumen. :) My response is more simplistic than the others, but I'll say this: If you can, by all means, keep the sensors intact. I made the mistake of ditching the runflats/stock rims and replacing with American Racing 18" rims all the way around on Kumho rubber. The computer codes are next to intolerable to me. I have had the car to 2 dealerships and a private 'vette mechanic and they all say the same thing: Ditch the sensors, live with the farkin' codes that require clearing - that should NOT be. There are a lot of people who change out rims and I can't believe GM wouldn't anticipate this and make some allowance in the computer to bypass the sensing system.

Stock tire size on the stock wheel size. You can get Z06 wheel sizes in 17 x 9.5 or 18 x 9.5 front and 18 x 10.5 rear and then go with 275 x 40 x 17 or 275 x 35 x 18 front and 295 x 30 x 18 rears. I switched my run-craps to 18's with Michelin Pilot Sports. Much quieter and better wet & dry handling tire. I just carry a plug kit and small compressor since they are not run flats.

I got 31K on my set. Dealer told me that was unusual, 20K 25K is normal.

I repurchased the F1 EMT because of the handling and overall rateing

New here and know the noise already...

Buying a 'vette in a few weeks, see other Discussion- has a price listed from Cars Direct, and I've driven a used 'Vette and noticed the noise right away.

My question is: do some owners change to rims that are the same height all around and what for? Is this to change tires from run-flats and/or to raise the height of the nose? If the height of the nose is changed, does this interfere with the handling? Help stop scraping in dips?

What is this sensor bit? How does it work to tell you the air pressure?

The overall diameter of the tire does not change, therefore you do not raise the nose. As the wheel gets bigger, the tire sizes shrink in sidewall height. Wheel size changes are for two reasons, to accomadate certain tire choices/preferances, or simply cosmetics. Anyone who has seen a C5 rollin' on 19's and 20's knows what I mean. It would be tough to improve performance with simply a wheel and tire change, minute if any. The C5 has great performance #'s anyway even with the EMT's. If you change from runflats you will notice a huge change in ride quality. If you stick with the EMT's you will never know the difference anyway. EMT's are'nt bad, but when you try another tire(non-runflat) there is a big difference, instantly noticable. And why would you want to raise the nose, the C5 already has a 3in gap in the wheel wells. I lowered mine 2in, looks awsome. I scrape the heck out of my spoiler everyday, you can't wear that thing out. They only cost $60 if you do anyway. Handles much better lowered.

Replaced mine with GS D3's. Love the handling, quietness. Have Triple A and a cell phone. My EMT's were bald at 35k. Even though mine doesn't see much rain, am not floating on top of puddles. When these wear out, am getting another set.

Yeah, I picked up a set.
Tire%20edit2.JPG

And I may have even gotten them for.....FREE!:)

We shall see over the next few days I guess? ;)

01TriBlack said:
Hey, DocAcumen. :) My response is more simplistic than the others, but I'll say this: If you can, by all means, keep the sensors intact. I made the mistake of ditching the runflats/stock rims and replacing with American Racing 18" rims all the way around on Kumho rubber. The computer codes are next to intolerable to me. I have had the car to 2 dealerships and a private 'vette mechanic and they all say the same thing: Ditch the sensors, live with the farkin' codes that require clearing - that should NOT be. There are a lot of people who change out rims and I can't believe GM wouldn't anticipate this and make some allowance in the computer to bypass the sensing system.
Triblack,

I believe that you can eliminate the codes and help yourself to some more ponies by having an LS1 edit done.

One of my hi-flo cats starting causing a code that was annoying. Heck aren't they all? I would clear the code and it would return. When I had my LS1 Edit done, the tech by-passed the sensor reading and voila! no more code.

I see that you have excellent taste in color choice for corvettes.:D

How does your car ride on 18"s all around? Got any pics?
I'd love to see the wheels.

Regards,
Pedro

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom