Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

To Be Or Not To Be Flight Judged

Will a Vette of yours ever be Flight judged?

• Already has been

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Will be this year

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Not now but someday

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Never gonna be

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
paintdaddy said:
Hey paul,Id like to see that 68 .I also have a 68 silverstone coupe.Also where is the regionals in Atl..Id like to go to that.:w
Yes, I know. I've seen that pic you use on the Internet. Looks just like the one I purchased. The meet is in the grass field right out front of the Stone Mtn Inn. We had a meet in 2001 two years ago there, last year the SouthEast meet was in Asheville,NC. Gonna drive down a day early, pick-up the car Weds evening, then head to Stone Mtn after I take care of all the title work and such. Hope to see you and others there.

purchased my 1963 SWC last July 2002 and have enjoyed taking it to local "fun" shows -
I was asked by the local chapter to consider joining the local chapter and having my car
judged - I am doing so on March 23 here at a local chapter meet in Maryland

c5vetter said:
purchased my 1963 SWC last July 2002 and have enjoyed taking it to local "fun" shows -
I was asked by the local chapter to consider joining the local chapter and having my car
judged - I am doing so on March 23 here at a local chapter meet in Maryland

Rick,

Are you a member of the Mid-Atlantic Chapter of the NCRS?

Rob,

joined the Mason-Dixon local chapter

I had my 66 judged at the Delaware Valley NCRS Chapter show held in Jenkintown PA in October of 2001. I am a member of that chapter as well as the Central NJ NCRS chapter. Both chapters have great folks as members. I was fortunate in that I had good judges -- courteous and took the time to explain the deductions so that I could fix them. The car recvd top flight status.

JL66REDCPE said:
I had my 66 judged at the Delaware Valley NCRS Chapter show held in Jenkintown PA in October of 2001. The car recvd top flight status.

Congratulations on your Top Flight. It must be a beautiful car.

Tom

C5Vetter....looking forward to seeing you at the Mason Dixon Chapter meet in March. My wife Pat, and I have our 69BB entered. We have 17 cars, PLUS a waiting list. Since we do this meet indoors, we have to limit the number of entrants to 5 solid axle, 5 midyears, and 5 sharks. This year, we're the first chapter to do the 84-86. We have 2 of those. Should be a fun day. LOTS of the "heavy hitters" will be there, as the NCRS National is having a board meeting in Hershey, and most of those guys are coming to our Chapter meet. We're having a judging school on Saturday prior to the Sunday meet. I do believe we're having 2 1953's there also.

We MIGHT move the meet "down the street" to Ernie Swanson's old Olds dealership on Crain Highway. Ernie's new Pontiac dealership on Ritchie Highway just MIGHT be too small. Stay tuned for details. We can get 18-20 cars in the Olds dealership. Chuck

The friendships is what it's all about !!!

I joined NCRS in 1976 and started the Southern California Chapter. That was over 50 Corvettes ago, and I will say that the people and friendships I have made during the last 27 years are some of my best friends today. That portion of the hobby is never discussed.

Over the years I have found that the "Hunt" is 90% of the fun. And then the war stories at Chapter, Regional and National Meets have definately left smile wrinkles on my face.

In 1985 I bought an old clapped out B/P race Corvette. I restored it to 1964 "race condition" ala my NCRS training. The other racers at the time wondered why I did that, as their Recaro seated, caged updated cars looked great (or so they thought). Now we see Kevin MacKay's wonderful race Corvettes show up at Medowbrook, Pebble Beach and Amelia Island (on 3-9-03) restored to perfect 'as raced when new' condition.

So the next time you get your car judged, and a judge makes an "oops"......take a deep breath and look around. There is a lot more to the old car hobby than "TR" nuts and bolts. And the NCRS should be proud of setting the pace for more than just Corvettes.

Save the wave......drive your car, and yes, if all goes well my wife Dee will bring out her 77 Bowtie/ Survivor sometime next year and "get it judged".

Jim

ChuckG??? This is the first year I think in four I will not be attending. Due to my "off" days now being Thurs & Fridays and since I only get so many "vacation" days per year, I have to be conservative with them. Have just enough days to do Stone Mountain, Seven Springs, St Louis Regionals, Bloomington, Hershey and Corvettes@Carlisle. May be able to slip a Chapter meet in towards the "end" of Summer, IF I have any vacation left. Sounds like you guys are going "all out" that weekend:dance

Chuck,

look forward to meeting you and all the other folks from Mason-Dixon.

Got the confirmation from John St.Peter this past Monday that my 1963 was one of the five chosen for the mid-years!

Flight Judging a modified car

I've been an NCRS member on and off since the mid 80s and have always wanted to have a car that was worthy of flight judging.

My current car is close in many ways but there are several obvious items that would result in full-point deductions and that would be difficult to fix without some serious effort.

I may still go to a chapter meet and let the judges take a look if I'm not taking up a space for a car that has a real chance, but I'll probably get the car fully restored before I attempt anything past a chapter meet.

Maybe I'll get lucky and the wife will let me buy another toy that's closer to stock. . . :)

I think it would be more fun to buy one (or make one) that is closer to nowhere near stock!:)

Re: Flight Judging a modified car

Erik S. Klein said:
I've been an NCRS member on and off since the mid 80s and have always wanted to have a car that was worthy of flight judging.

My current car is close in many ways but there are several obvious items that would result in full-point deductions and that would be difficult to fix without some serious effort.

Erik,

If your car truly was delivered to its first owner with the mods you described (paint, pipes, etc.) then you may have a case so long as it's all very well documented. By all means, take it to a Chapter meet, documentation in tow, and see what happens.

BTW, I love the rear paint on your car, very nice:upthumbs.

Don't be shy about having your car judged. NCRS often gets a bad reputation about being snobs but they are Corvette nuts too. Most especially love to dig into a cars history, especially if it has something unusual about it or was delivered with unusual features.

I have made my opinion known in my columns about modifications that were done early on and even the restoration of old customs. If your car was delivered like that or was modified early by the original owner there is no way I would change it. It is a more unique part of Corvette history as is even if it isn't exactly NCRS correct.

I agree with Eric. I like the paint scheme.

Tom

Dealer Custom

If your car truly was delivered to its first owner with the mods you described (paint, pipes, etc.) then you may have a case so long as it's all very well documented.

I have in front of me the car's Window Sticker which lists only the car's factory options, none of which include the custom work.

I also have a letter signed by the original owner of the car stating that it was delivered by Harry Mann Chevrolet (Los Angeles) with the wheels, tires and side exhausts as they are now.

The car appeared in a period Sony/Mahoney advertisement (along with Jonathan Winters and a Porche) with the wheels, tires and side exhaust showing and the luggage rack visible.

I have nothing to confirm that the rear paint is as-delivered and I do know that the car has been repainted once.

I could probably contact the original owner if need be for additional documentation from him.

Harry Mann Chevrolet seems to be either out of business or under a new name. They used to be at 5735 Crenshaw Blvd. in LA.

It's certainly worth a chapter meet, at least.

Interesting History. Can't say what happened to Harry Mann Chevrolet but they were a big name in Chevy high performance and Corvettes back then.

Tom

Your car looks great :cool , and no doubt it was delivered as you indicated; however, the judging standard is the car as it was delivered to the first retail purchaser after normal dealer preparation, exclusive of any owner- or dealer-inspired alterations. This is the standard everyone works to, and it means you would probably get deductions for the paint, exhaust system and the wheels, as it didn't come off the truck that way.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom