Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

To flame or not to flame, that is the question

To flame or not to flame ? That is the question.

• pearl white ghost flames

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • candy green flames

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • leave it alone idiot.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • white racing stripe

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

Duntov-097

I had a few issues with the paint on the nose of the orange 57' and it's going to have to be re-done. The guy that did the actual paint work srepped right up to the plate and agreed to fix it without any hesitation at all
thumbsup.gif

I almost flamed it when I first did it but I had a vision and didn't want to change it, and I knew we could always flame it later. The overall theme of the car came out exactly the way I wanted it, so I was happy for that, but..............

Fast forward 3 years and now I'm thinking maybe a little change might be in order as I've got A.D.D and am kinda bored with the looks now.
rofl.gif
willy_nilly.gif
rofl.gif
willy_nilly.gif

Two options I'm considering.

1. Pearl white ghost flames

2. Hold on to your hat. Candy green flames with purple pinstripes around the flames. I've seen it on the orange and it looks awesome.

The flames will cover the nose and trail off into the backs of the door.

I'm a little worried about messing up the clean lines and look of the car that I have now, but am seriously leaning towards the green flames. The car is a complete custom anyway, so I don't think it will be too outrageous for the car.

Thoughts ?

Git R' Done

Green with purple;)

You might want to speak to your painter and inquire if the green/purple, could be done as ghost flames. In my opinion that would be a killer combo.

However one way or the other, it's sound's like you, and your car need them, so go for it.

Stepinwolf

My vote is to leave it as is

I dont know how to describe your car to you correctly .

But is perfect.it just looks purposely built,meaning I dont see no frills on the car,no extra nothing. Just a beutifull car that was built to go.

I read a book about jesse james the motor cycle builder and he was describing the perfect bikes he had built were bikes that had no bells and whistles on them.they wer just purposely built to go. anything that did not make it stronger,or faster or more reliable was not installed on the bikes.Thats what he described as a perfect bike.

I guess the word I am looking for is PURE and thats what I see when I see you car. Just Pure engineering.I think you have it perfect.

This is also from a person who loves the ghost flames.

But I think the flames might pull away from that pure look you have on the car

Ghost it with what ever you decide.....the car is gorgous and the flames would be the focal point if done to loudly. it would take away from the cars attitude.

I would leave it as is. I think I would love the flames for about 6 months and then it would start to get old real quick. Just my opinion. It's a great looking car just the way it is.

You clearly want to flame it, or you wouldn't be asking us now that you have a reason to paint it as a second chance.

I say Ghost flames... not too prominent or overbearing.... just subtle enough so that when the car is parked... people say " Ohhh sick!! Check out those flames... I didn't see those at first!"

My vote white coves to match the seats.

If you want to raise the excitement level, white racing stripes.

If you really want a unique effect, flame the stripes only, or flame the front and do the stripe flames in a contrasting color to the body flames.

I like the white racing stripe idea...

-Mac

Mac said:
I like the white racing stripe idea...

-Mac

Ditto. I love seeing and reading about the Solid axle race cars, and the stripe would be a nice tribute. Perhaps 2 or 3 white circles with the number 57 inside would be a good touch, too, like a race car.

Flames can surely make or break the final touches of your car... Only you can be that judge...It doesnt matter who else likes them.. but it is nice when others can share your appreciation... Tastefully done ghost flames look super in my opinion. But there are some wild new designs out there I have seen. Lots of imagination being displayed and gaining in popularity with the new generation car guys.
The Green on Orange has potential,, Looking forward to seeing the final decision pics.

This is a tough decision. The true "look" of the flames is so hard to visualize in tape, and a bad flame job could just ruin the car. I've seen quite a few styles and am concerned about the painter and I being on the same page.

I'm not big on painted coves, and I'm not sure about the racing stripes with the modern color. If it was white, the blue stripes would be a no brainer. I was actually going to build another car and paint it white with the blue stripes and coves with red wheels like the old Sebring 57' in the picture.

I'll probably chicken out and leave it the way it is.

Duntov-097 said:
I'll probably chicken out and leave it the way it is.
Perhaps we could convince someone to volunteer to PhotoChop a set of white stripes on a picture of your car? That might give you a decent visual of how it would look in paint... :cool

-MAc

IH2LOSE said:
But I think the flames might pull away from that pure look you have on the car

The body lines of the 57 can't get any more gorgeous.

I have to agree with Larry on this one. Your car looks great and I'd hate to see flames take away from that nice clean look since the lines on a '57 are so beautiful anyway.
Having said that, I'm also one to say that the person who's name is on the title of a car is entitled to do whatever they wish to their own car no matter what so if your heart is truely set on flames than go with flames otherwise you may always look at the car and deep inside be disappointed that you didn't do it. If that's the case than i'd suggest going with the ghost flames. A fellow club member of mine has a black C3 with gold ghost flames and the compliments he gets on his car are nonstop.

Barry

PS: One last thought for you..... I know from your past posts how close you were to your Dad and how much you enjoyed working on these cars with him. What do you think HE would have liked regarding the paint? flames or no flames? Maybe take that into consideration and do the paint the way you know he would have liked it. As close as it always sounded that you two were, i'm sure you already know one way or the other what he would have liked. :) :beer

Everyone, thanks for the input.:upthumbs

Barry,

Thanks for your thoughts. My father and I were cut from the same cloth on what we liked in cars. We thought long and hard about the flames when it was first done, but decided to stick with the original concept I had in my mind knowing we could add the flames later. We both always wanted a car with flames. I'm just not sure if this is the right car.

Heres a preview.

orangepurple.jpg

orange_green_jpeg.jpg

orange_green2_jpeg.jpg

Duntov-097 said:
Everyone, thanks for the input.:upthumbs

Barry,

Thanks for your thoughts. My father and I were cut from the same cloth on what we liked in cars. We thought long and hard about the flames when it was first done, but decided to stick with the original concept I had in my mind knowing we could add the flames later. We both always wanted a car with flames. I'm just not sure if this is the right car.

Heres a preview.

orangepurple.jpg

That's it right there!:_rock

Here's something I've not seen yet - How about ghost flames in the coves only?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom