Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

To Paint or not to Paint (brake parts)

dburgjohn

Corvette
1992 Coupe
I am thinking about trying out the red brake paint (red looks so cool showing through the rims). Has anyone tried this stuff? Does it hold up or just look good for a short while before looking bad?

got new chrome ZR1 rims and painted the caliper mounting brackets silver and the calipers brite red they look awesome with the drilled and slotted rotors. i also
have red corvette spoke decals on the rims. it really picks up the appearence
of the car greatly. will get some pics as soon to show her off

I got a can of Rustoleum Sunrise Red and attempted to paint mine last weekend but I failed miserably. I tried cleaning the caliper with Simple Green and a rag and that didn't work(paint made little round spots where it wouldn't stick) Tried mineral spirits and that didn't work either (same thing) I'm guessing that I will have to remove the calipers, have em cleaned and powder coated. (they are a ***** to get off, how exactly do you remove the rear ones on the HD brake option?)

Use the G2 paint kit which is just a can of brake cleaner and some hardner for a heat type paint...and a brush. Works greats, so easy I'm doing it again but trying bright yellow this time...just to see.

Clean the brakes real good with a brush and brake cleaner and you'll be fine.

i used crc industrial degreaser to clean my parts it worked excelent.
i use at work so i know i would work good

Where can this be found? Lowes? Or will I need to go to an automotive or agricultural farm shop?

I took off my wheels and sprayed my calipers with a can of brake cleaner and wire brushed them. Then I cleaned them again with brake cleaner. Then I used that blue masking tape that you buy in hardware stores (doesn't leave a residue) and spay painted them. Looks great through the ZR1 wheels. Very easy and cheap. If you want to change colors its not a big job.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom