Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

To PTFE or to not?

PeterG

Corvette
2007 black coupe, NCM Lifetime Member
A Chevrolet dealer whom I trust sells a coating that can applied to the entire painted surface of a car. It contains PTFE, known by DuPont's trade name teflon.

It is claimed that this coating inhibits bug, tree sap, acid rain, road salt, and chemical junk from sticking and damaging the paint. Also, stone chipping can be reduced.

Does anyone have experience with this product and know that it provides these sorts of protection?

A Chevrolet dealer whom I trust sells a coating that can applied to the entire painted surface of a car. It contains PTFE, known by DuPont's trade name teflon.

It is claimed that this coating inhibits bug, tree sap, acid rain, and chemical junk from sticking and damaging the paint. Also, stone chipping can be reduced.

Does anyone have experience with this product and know that it provides these sorts of protection?

What is the product name?

You only listed an ingredient of the product.

Thanks... I see that would help everyone know what I am talking about.

This product is sold as "The Protector" and is marketed using a knight's shield logo.

I see all of these dealer sold packages as a major rip off. They make big bucks off a one-time application.
You can do the job yourself for about $10.00. Just go to the auto parts store or Wal-Mart and look for the bottles that say Teflon on them.
Here are some examples:

http://www.autobarn.net/cwx1030.html
Dupont Teflon car wax.

One note about Teflon is that it removes a small amount of paint during the application.

I would stick to a good Carnuba wax and skip the Teflon.

In anything but a highly heated liquid form (like what is applied to pots & pans), teflon is a solid and therefore abrasive.

I wouldn't touch the stuff.

Quite a few polishes contain Teflon - not to protect or shine, but to make it easier to apply and remove.

My personal experience with Teflon has been excellent. I did not experience the paint rubbing. Currently I use Xeno (sp?), glows in the dark, but is a bit of a pain. Teflon is effortless.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom