Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

To spray or not To spray

400hp_76

Corvette
Black 1976 STINGRAY cpe, T-tops
Well im at the end of the road on engine modifications. I think i am going to buy a nitrous kit(cheaper than turbo and superchargers). Either the hidden under the breather nitrous kit or the sniper. I will probably go with the sniper ...best adjustable bang for the buck. Everyone is telling me i will blow the motor and i have to continuously tell them that i am not gonna shoot 250hp to it. A mild 100-150 ,probably in between. I have the engine specs to do it. I am also not gonna "not" tune the car and let it run lean or some crap like that (hopefully). I think there is just a big myth about nitrous, but if done correctly without the" ugh ugh more power" you will be fine. what do you guys think?

N2O is the Way to Go!

I have a 150 hp shot on my LT 1, it has been the best performance modification for the money that I have done to the car. When and if you go with the N2O install rev limiters to prevent any problems with lean out, my N2O does not come on until I hit 2500 rpms and shuts down at 5800 rpms, this allows me to get a quick hole shot with my 373's gears and then the juice comes on to really pull hard to the finish line.
Check out the N2O organization on the net, alot of good advice there to help you out, and to put to rest, alot of the myths that surround Nitrous.
One thing, make sure your ready for that shift from 1st to 2nd gear because you will be in for the thrill of your life! LOL! You will be ordering some Drag radials soon afterwards!

Regards,

Wookiebear

I've been batting this idea around, too. Probably only a 50-100 hp shot, though - nothing fancy. I do like the idea of ordinary engine while driving around town, but a bit more power with the flip of a switch.

How do I determine whether my engine/drivetrain is in good enough condition to stand up to a bit of nitrous?

Joe

I am with Maine shark how do you know if your driveline will handle the extra HP ?. I am thinking 4 bolt main,700 tranny,(81 auto here)
And How do you inject the nitrus into a carb eng.?
and how do you dial in how much hp you want to obtain ?.
Earl

Go to www.holley.com they have a good general information section under the nos link. Your internals have to rock. As for me when i had cast pistons and stock internals i wouldnt spray. I know they say its okay to with stock internals but im just that way. i like to be sure. Hey go for it if you can tune it well. Hey wook, do you run a mechanical fuel pump and if you do did you install a fuel pressure regulator. there is an adjustable one that i have my eyes on..as for the rev limiters i am gonna get a msd 5 series buy the rev limiter control and install the adjustable timing feature(15 degress advance or retard)

Nitrous is really easy to plumb and mess around with. I've tapped intake manifolds from the lifter valley side for stealth and the carb base systems are a breeze. If you got the engine internals to play, a 150hp shot is realistic and is within Nitro parameters. This month's CHP took a junkyard 350, albiet with low compression, and just kept juicing the motor for the fun of it to see how much it could take. The cast internal engine gave up the ghost on the way to a 400+hp shot. It withstood the 375 shot. Of course, no one recommends flogging it this high for the hell of it, but it was fun to read the abuse. :gap

The most important thing is to keep a steady supply of fuel entering the engine to mix with the Nitro. A sound fuel system will prevent 90% of any problems, as the leaning out usually happens when the regular fuel system fails or proves to be inadequete. As with everything, proper preparation is the key to success.

--Bullitt

Haven't been around in a while but I figured I would put in my .02 on this one.

The cast pistons aren't going to hold for very long with a 150 shot and hypereutectic will buy you some time but will eventually give up the ghost. I wouldn't go anything bigger until I got a solid engine internally.

I agree with bullit, adequete fuel to feed the engine with the nitrous will extend the engine life. Actually just seting it up right will do that LOL. Most guys blow it because they don't do that.

Getting it tuned would entail getting it put on a dyno and checking the O2 readings with a wideband sensor. SOTP does not work to well especially for something like this. Once its dialed in right spray at will and hold on!

As long as your not spraying every weekend at the strip with slicks your drivetrain should live a while.

Frank

Im not really worried about running it after i get it tuned, it should be a good set up. nothing like 150hp at your fingertip. Im sick of these little ricers pulling up beside me. It will be great to see the look on there face when they see pshh pshh(purge) and then bam..bye bye. Its already great when they pull up beside me wide eyed like it is some type of ferrari or something. Even better when you smoke em and leave them wiping the rubber off there face. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom