Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

too tall for c5

R

Radiationxp

Hey guys, not many have my problem, but I have loved corvettes for a long time, but my only problem is that I am 6' 6", a little too tall for such a small car.

But... although you may think "just forget it, you will never fit, it will never work" think first what it would be like if someone just came up to you and told you that you coudln't drive corvettes any longer.. arg.. no fun..

anyway, my question is this: is there anyway possible I could.. uhh.. remake or re-do the interior of the corvette to fit how tall I am. Forget the cost, but do you think it would be possible, no matter how it had to be done, to reposition the seat (if needed) or do ANYTHING so that I (at 6feet,6inches) could fit comfortably in a corvette?

or is there no hope of ever driving such a perfect car for me.... :(

Thanks!

One of my buddies is 6'4, and has a 95 Viper RT-10. He didn't fit either... knees banging into the dash skirt and all. To solve his problem, he simply had the seat removed from it's track and bolted directly to the floorboard. This gave him just enough clearance to be comfortable.

Drawback.... He offered me up the keys to his 650HP monster (massaged by Hennessey 2x). I'm 5'5. Umm... I coudn't reach the pedals. Not one. Bummer for me. I had to settle for a little joy ride in the passenger seat (still worth it). You can't adjust the seat once this is done. If you plan on being the only driver, or your wife is also 6' somethin, then you would be OK.

Just thoughts.

Actually i was reading something about taking off the sunvisors to add some extra clearance. Dont know if that will help but its worth a try. Im about 6'1 and i fit fine so you must be pretty close. Good Luck!

I'm about 6'5" and I fit just fine . Play with the seat positions and you'll probably fit well enough . Cliff

Height varies...

People can be the exact same height but have different problems fitting in a car because their body proportions are different.

I think a person who is equally proportionate would fit in a smaller car better than one who has long legs (knees hit dash, can't adjust seat back far enough) or one with a long torso (head hits roof at every bump or all the time).

What exactly is your problem fitting into a vette? There may be different ways of finding solutions depending on what your problem with fitting in one is. Overall I think the solution of mounting the seat to the floor sounds like the best fix.
Heidi

Thanks!

If you guys have hope of it working, then I will continue to work on it. I went down to the chevrolet dealer in my town yesterday, and man, when I saw inside of of their 2004 coupe, I was like

DANG! how come it looks mininature compared to all the pictures. Im thinkinking that if the seat is just bolted to the ground, that might help, cause, my knees just barely don't fit under the dash, and my head is banged up against the top, so If were to lower the seat all the way, then I would still be able to see just fine, but then it would give my legs more room...

unfortunately, I didn't get any time at all to try and adjust the seats or see how I could change the vette a little to fit... the dealer right off just told me to rethink my car preference, and he took mefor a test drive, for 1 minute, and was telling me the whole time that i should just forget the corvette, its too small and im too big... and to find a big truck or suv.... it got annoying...

but seriously... there is NO way a big truck or suv can compare even remotely to the joy that comes from zooming along in a close to the ground, fast, and manuverable sports car... even if your big and tall.. harg harg harg

thanks again for the hope you have given!

I would find another dealer. Anyone that rushes you through looking at a $50k car doesn't seem to care about the customer.

Perhaps a convertible with the top down? Coupe with the top out all the time? There was a reason you never saw the targa roof in the Ferrari 308 in Magnum PI. ;)

My neighbor has a friend that was intersted in purchasing a Corvette as well. He was tall, 6'4", but mostly torso. No matter how he tried his head hit the ceiling. He dismissed the Corvette and, ironically, ended up with a Mini Cooper. Hard to believe those little cars have so much room in them. He let me drive it and I couldn't believe all the interior space.

Good luck with the search. I would think you would be able to drop the seat down a bit to accomodate as it seems the legs seem to be the main problem? The seat may be limited in how far back it will go though due to the way the compartment is set up.

Leon

Also , if you drive one with the glass top instead of the regular top you pick up quite a bit of headroom . I'd talk to a different salesperson too . One that wants you to have a Vette ! And when your looking at a car , don't let them rush you . Go play with the seats as much as you need to . You'll find a way to make it fit . And getting in and out will become easier for you when you have it awhile . It's all in the technique . Cliff

I am 6'2" and currently weigh about 270#. I fit with no problem at all. I put the seat down all the way, tilt it back a couple of notches, then put it back all the way. When I drive more aggresively, I actually move the seat forward a little ways. In "All Corvettes Are Red", one of the major players (cannot remember his name, was one of the major chevy executives) is 6'5" and he fit without problem. I suggest that you sit in one and play with the seating positions for a while. The footwells are huge, too. I assume that we are talking about a C5.

To get in and out, I plop my butt down in the seat, then rotate my legs into the car. To get out, I put my legs out first, then stand up. If I get out using the 'one leg at a time' method, I hurt one of my thighs.

Gorgon said:
I would find another dealer. Anyone that rushes you through looking at a $50k car doesn't seem to care about the customer.

Ditto to this! Make sure after you purchase your Vette elsewhere, that you pay a visit to that dealer.... and with a coy smile... say "BUMMER not HUMMER"!!

hahha, thats funny....

yeah, that salesman was the worst... I don't understand how he sells cars. I was sorta overhearing him talk to some other customers before he took me in the vette, and it sorta sounded like he was trying to make their car decisions for them.

Hes a loser.... Thanks for the support. Its great to know people are out there willing to help.

Just wish I had a friend who had a corvette (c5) that could help me out and show me around, and I wouldn't have to deal with these.. dealers...

if any of you have a corvette, and live within 1 or 2 hours of porterville, California, (central valley), and would be so kind as show me around their corvette and maybe drive me around in it, then I would be happy to come and see you sometime. Thanks!

Hi To All,
When my oldest brother (6'1") was younger, he looked into buying a Vette. He had the money and was thinking," My motorcycle days are over (due to an industrial accident) but this could get the heatt pumping". He sat in the Vette and his head hit the roof. Well, he went the Jeep route. He offered this sage advice when I told him I was looking into buying a Vette. Now at 5'6", no problamo, plenty of room. What is real fun, we sometimes hook up at my parents house. I let his tool around finding a plac e to get a cup of coffee (with me riding shot gun). He loves it.
A Collevtive Peace To All,
Blue Borg Brian 1 of 58

You can also program the newer C5/6s to retract the steering wheel when you remove the key, this could give you a little more room getting in and out.

Yes, I can relate, at 6'5" and 255 I was set to just forget it when I decided to go try a few on and post almost the same message you did here in this forum. I really wanted an 81 or 82 but once I found one it just wasn't going to happen so I tried a C4 (1996) and it was pretty good once I got the seat just right and all the way down...still come close to the top arch on the cross member but I figure I will compress the foam over time or shave it myself. I was them tempted to look at a C5 because the salesman said they had more room. I was very excited until I sat in it and it just wasn't going to happen. I agree that each tall person is different so you really have to try it on first. I loved the C5 but realistically it was out of price range and the C4 fit better. I bought it knowing I would have to work with to get it just right. Don't give up, if you really want it, find a way to make it work. Seats can be replaced and I've since discovered that the power seat tracks are higher then the manual so you can regain an inch or better just my switching those out. Can't confirm it yet but I'm certainly going to try it and shave the foam a bit.

I'm about 6'5" and I fit just fine also. The only time I dont have enough room is when I am autocrossing or at the track and I have my helmet on. Then I have to hold my head down.

I am 6'4" (and rather long in the legs). With the seat not quite bottomed out, pushed all the way back, and the back reclined a bit I fit without a problem. If I telescope the steering wheel towards me a hair it helps the leg clearance a little more. This is in a convertible which actually has quite a bit of head room (I have a few inches of clearance).

each post heightens my happiness! Thank you all!

I'm 51 and 6-5. I fit in my '99 hardtop just fine. It was harder to get in and out of the 94 coupe. My wife and I drove with the caravan to Bowling Green last year and the ride didn't get old at all. Keep looking for the right seat set-up and you'll be fine.

Help with Corvette

One suggestion for assistance with Corvette "decisions" is to contact a local Corvette club. I'm certain that there will be one near to you in CA. Members will be more than helpful in answering your questions. Good luck!

Ron

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom