Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tool Rental

Whelen1

Corvette
1981 Red Coupe
So im in the process of switching over to 062 Vortec heads, roller cam and head accoutrements.

While reading through a number of forums the mods that I need to do are quite common. Only issue is Im trying to keep misc costs as low as possible, as we know the little stuff adds up FAST!

I was wondering if anyone had some of the tools needed to help with the swap that they wouldn't mind loaning another member for a short time. Ill pay shipping both ways.

I’m looking for a few things:

- the comp cams valve guide and guide boss (spring seat) cutters with arbor

- valve lock install/removal tool

- alignment tool for changing from press in to screw in - non shouldered - rocker studs

By borrowing these tools over buying will save me almost $200!!

Just a shot in the dark

TIA!

I don't have those tools but have you checked with Auto Zone or O'Reilies? I know that they have loanout tools for many operations. A valve spring compressor is common enough that I would think they would have it. The screw in stud alignment tool is pretty cheap at Speedway. I'd price getting the seats cut at a local machine shop. I'd be worried about striking water if I did it myself and wasn't experienced at this operation.

Tom

Hey Tom, Im trying to avoid buying tools that i will likely never use again. The rental tools do have the compressors but after a certain amount of time they charge you for it. Meaning if you do t return them w/in say 30 days they charge you the “deposit”. This project will be going on over months and dont want to hassle with it.

as far as the grinding, ive done enough research on depths and how to use the tools and never shied away from something new. Plus giving it to machine shop and dropping $300 for the job goes against me trying to save money lol

for as many years as i have been working on cars,there are a few things that I still wouldn't do.If I have to pay a reputable machine shop
to redo my heads,it worth the extra money to do it.you can do all the research yourself,but I will pick experience every time!!!!
one little thing goes wrong you spend more than 200 hundred bucks!!!!
I can get just as much satisfaction from doing the rest of the job myself.

for as many years as i have been working on cars,there are a few things that I still wouldn't do.If I have to pay a reputable machine shop
to redo my heads,it worth the extra money to do it.you can do all the research yourself,but I will pick experience every time!!!!
one little thing goes wrong you spend more than 200 hundred bucks!!!!
I can get just as much satisfaction from doing the rest of the job myself.
Agreed :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom