Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

top radiator hose

Wayne robson

Corvette
sold my last corvette.
Hello all i was messing with my carby yesterday and notived my top radiator hose was just slightly touching my alternator bracket, when lifting it away noticed
it had worn approx half way through the hose, so i fixed it by adjusting the bracket down a bit and loosening the hose twisting it to the left tightening, problem fixed but take a look because what happens is when the engine gets hot and is running the hose expands and rubs against the bracket, take a look a burst top hose you dont wont regards wayne.

Note sure about your year but my 82 has a hose support that is bolted to the alternator bracket to eliminate this problem. Possible yours is missing or you could retrofit if not originally equiped. Hope this helps.

Are you sure your isn't on backwards??? Seems like I had the same problem and that is what it was.

Not sure how you could tell its a "76" just from that pic but you are right on :beermy 76 looks exactly like that and I have some issues with rubbing on the mount but if everything is installed correctly it does not rub.

Thanks all

Yes it is moulded, and ive only had my vette approx 3 months, first one, not sure if it correct , and im going to fit a new one soon, regards .

You need to replace the hose and get the correct hose that is moulded to not hit the bracket. If you get the correct hose and the problem persists I have seen this solution.

Take your old hose and cut a piece off and fit it over the new hose at the point where it hits the bracket. Cut a piece about 6-8" wide, split it and wrap it around the hose. That way when it wears it wears out the old hose and you can continue to replace pieces of the old hose without compromising your new one. Not the ideal solution but a functional "Bubba" fix.

If you have the correct hose and you’re sure of that and down the road you notice it is starting to rub again, check and make sure that one or both of the motor mounts are not broken.
Brian

I had the same problem on my 1982. I fabricated a bracket that keeps the upper hose away from the belt. It is not much more than a glorified bubba-fix, but it works.
I wouldn't "pad" the hose so that the belt wears through the pad before the hose. That would mean something is rubbing against the belt and that is bad for the belt.

Good Luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom