Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tork Converter Search

C

cmegga

Any one found a moderatly priced lock up stall converter. Im looking for something with a 2500 stall speed. I have a 81 with the th350 trany and my mechanic is dairly certain it is a lock up converter ( becuase it has wires coming out of it ).

I need one with in a week or so. The only one I have found is at jegs its a 1900 stall speed, and a special order . Also the want $389, which is alot more then I was intending to spend on this.

Any one have any thoughts as to where else I can look for this, and or if you can run a non-lock up converter in this application ??

Can anyone even confim that I do have a lockup converter in an 81 ?

cmegga,
If your car has a ECM "computer" then it has a lockup converter.
There are a couple of reputable tranny shops here in Buffalo. And a killer speed shop in Tonawanda, NY that I could check with for the lockup converter. If you would like, I can check them out for some answers to your questions and see if you can get the parts a little cheaper. So let me know if you want me to do some asking around. Sarge

I cant beleive this is such a hard part to find. I ve been on the phone all day. Sarge I do have a computer on the 81 , but that has been unhooked for quite some time now.

Of course TCI makes 2 options a 2000 stall and a 3000 stall, when Im looking for a 2500. They want $425 for eigher of them as well.

Aperently the 81 has a th350c trans, with the lock up converter and it only was around for 2yrs and real tough to find.

I cant beleive all the rest of the 81's that members have built in the CAC and no one has run into this yet ???? I have seen alot of really nice well built 81's here in this forum, what are all the rest of you running for stall converts ??

lockup converter

I think you can run a lockup converter on a regular turbo 350 but not a non lockup on a lockup 350c if this makes sense but I believe you can change the front pump out or just the input shaft but hence there goes the lockup function.

cmegga,
A personal opinion......2000 rpm stall is a good improvement over stock stall of about 1600 rpm. When you start getting into the higher stall speeds, you are going to raise transmission temperatures alot higher. Heat and street driven tranny's don't go well together. So unless you are going to race the car, I think that the 2000 rpm stall is sufficient. If you are looking to improve the standing start (0-60mph) , change your rear end gears to something better than the 2.72's or 2.87's you probably have.
Sarge

good advice sarge. The last thing I need is to have something else overheating, it seem to be a constant issue with these cars. Its looking like I dont have any other options at this point. 3000 is way to high. So Ill have to go with the 2000 and hope its the improvement Im looking for.

The rear end is coming in due time. Im waiting till I can adress that and the suspension all at once, since it all has to come out any how.

cmeega.
I will call a buddy of mine up tomorrow, who works in a performance tranny shop. And I will find out if you can use a non lock up converter in a th350c for certain. Cheaper than a locker especially if your computer ain't hooked up. If it ain't hooked up it makes no sense in even bothering with this setup. It wouldn't be much more money to just start over with a regular th350 non -computer trans. and slap that into the car. It's to bad you can't slide a th700r4 under there due to your time constrants. Nothing like a 3.06:1 first gear and a nice .70 overdrive. Sarge

One day, when my pockets are a little deeper I hoping to drop all this for a manual rawlings 6 speed anyway.

If you guys can't find what you need locally give Bow Tie Overdrives a call. They deal with a place called The Convertor Shop and I would imagine they would have what you need. The people at BTO were a big help when I did my conversion, very friendly too.

Thanks for all the feed back. I actully just found a local guy in Baldwinsville NY, at a place called Customer Converters. He going to take my converter and built it to any stall speed I desire. For only $175. Cant beat that since ever other lock up I found was atleast $350

Im thinking 2200-2300 should be a good range, a bit of a boost into the power band and should overwork the trany too much.

If anyone ever needs it the shops # is 315-635-9544.

cmegga,
I'm glad you found a local guy to help you out without fleecing your pocketbook. I did call my buddy at the tranny shop, and he did confirm that you cannot interchange a non lockup torque converter to a TH350C tranny. The shafts are different. When you get your car back together let all of us know how the car "launches" off the line. Later dude!
Sarge:bu

350c auto

All you have to do is change out front pump otherwise its the same tranny as turbo 350.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom