Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Torq Thrust D wheels

B

billbonn80

I know I am beating a dead horse here but I am totally confused. I want a set of Torq Thrust D wheels for my 65 coupe. I plan on ordering 15x6 wheels with P205/75R15 Redline tires. My confusion comes from all the post I've read that some Torq Thrust D wheels fit a 65 just fine and others require a spacer. I know that the CL205 will fit but frome the pics I've seen, I don't like their looks as much as the Torq Thrust D. Does anyone know why the Torq Thrust D's seem to fit some 65's ok and have an interference with others? I really don't want to order and have to return them if they don't fit and I won't use a spacer. What opinions do members here have of the looks of of the CL205 vs. the Torq Thrust D? I have read all the archieves and am still confused. I wish American Racing would chime in and give us an answer or maybe they have and I just missed it. Thank you in advance.

Bill Bonnichsen

billbonn80 said:
I know I am beating a dead horse here but I am totally confused. I want a set of Torq Thrust D wheels for my 65 coupe. I plan on ordering 15x6 wheels with P205/75R15 Redline tires. My confusion comes from all the post I've read that some Torq Thrust D wheels fit a 65 just fine and others require a spacer. I know that the CL205 will fit but frome the pics I've seen, I don't like their looks as much as the Torq Thrust D. Does anyone know why the Torq Thrust D's seem to fit some 65's ok and have an interference with others? I really don't want to order and have to return them if they don't fit and I won't use a spacer. What opinions do members here have of the looks of of the CL205 vs. the Torq Thrust D? I have read all the archieves and am still confused. I wish American Racing would chime in and give us an answer or maybe they have and I just missed it. Thank you in advance.

Bill Bonnichsen

Have your car measured for the proper backspacing and custom order them. It will take longer but you will get the right fit.

Gerry

Buy the TT II

Unfortunately, it isn't just a question of backspacing. Corvette disc brake clearance also depends on the shape of the spokes.

I don't think I can explain American "D" wheel designs any plainer than I did in my previous post on this subject. If you are waiting for American to jump in and clarify things, you will be waiting a very long time.

It is possible that American has changed the machining specs of the nineties wheel design called the TTD so that it will clear Corvette disc brake calipers. However, based on their past reactions to customer complaints, I seriously doubt it.

Newstalgia Wheel.

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/

Was in the same boat as you and they were great in answering all my stupid questions (many) and making sure I got what I wanted.

Bet a C-2 looks good in Grass Valley and Nevada City. Was raised in Auburn and saw my first C-2 there.

My previous post on another forum

Starting around 1960, American began selling a 5-spoke wheel called the Torq-Thrust. The spoke crest of a Torq-Thrust wheel was straight all the way from the center to the rim. It did not clear disc brakes without a spacer. It was offered in both aluminum and magnesium.

American first began advertising the Torq-Thrust "D" wheel in 1966. This wheel was a variation of their earlier design called the Torq-Thrust. Yes, the "D" stood for Disc. The spoke crest of this "D" wheel was shaped like an eagle's beak. The "D" wheel fit disc brake Corvettes without a spacer as it was designed to do.

This first version of the "D" wheel was offered in 15x6" and 15x7" sizes from 1966 into the seventies. Most were made of aluminum, but some sets were made of real magnesium. A two-bar spinner center cap was offered by American as an option to their standard round chrome center cap with a small diameter screw circle. The wheel stud holes were a smaller diameter than the other wheel manufacturers used at the time, but I don't remember this diameter exactly.

Initially American cast their name and the wheel design / size into the back side of each wheel. While sales were booming in the late sixties, however, they subcontracted some of the casting to Japan. These Japanese castings did not have the American name cast into the back side.

During the early nineties American decided to again sell a wheel called the Torq-Thrust "D". They chose this name for marketing reasons only. The actual wheel design they used was first called the GT when it was sold by American in the early sixties. This wheel design has a spoke crest curved like a banana. This is the design now sold under the Torq-Thrust "D" (Series 105) name. It does not clear Corvette disc brakes without a spacer. It is also drilled for a larger diameter center cap screw circle and uses a larger lug nut diameter than the 1966 "D" wheel.

It only took 10 years, but around 2000 American finally realized they had made a marketing error in using the "D" name for a wheel which does not clear disc brakes. They then began selling a two-piece wheel design called the Torq-Thrust II (Series 505) which looks very similar to the modern wheel they called the "D". The spoke crest design of this wheel is still shaped like a banana, but it does clear Corvette disc brakes without a spacer. Since these wheels can be bought with gray painted spokes under the Torq-Thrust II Classic (Series CL205) name, some people think they are exactly the same as the nineties wheel called the "D", but the II is a different design.

American then added another confusing term to their sales catalog. They recently started selling a wheel they call the Torq-Thrust Original (Series 309). This wheel has a straight spoke crest and will not clear Corvette disc brakes without a spacer.

I know it is mess, but American doesn't care if you're confused as long as you continue to buy their wheels.

In summary, those with disc brake Corvettes have these 5-spoke wheel choices from American:
discontinued 1966 version Torq-Thrust "D" wheels (eagle's beak spoke).
1990-up Torq-Thrust "D" wheels with a spacer( banana spoke).
2000-up Torq-Thrust II wheels (banana spoke).
2000-up Torq-Thrust Original wheels with a spacer (straight spoke).
Last edited by jerrybramlett : 04-11-2005 at 09:48 AM.

Torq Thrust D

Jerry...Ty for posting your research on Torq Thrust D wheels again. It is very informative and from it I know that if I order the Torq Thrust D, I may encounter a caliper clearance problem. My question is why they fit some 65's and not others. Last nite I looked at a lot of pic of the CL205, mainly Pauls 67, and I have deceided to go with the CL205 as I am not willing to risk a fitment problem. I called Newwstalgia Wheels today and I must give them the backspacing I want. They recommended 3 1/4. I am doing a lot of checking to day before I order to make sure that is a good number. I noticed that Paul's CL205's were 3 3/8 backspacing and +1/8 offset. CAn any board members enlighten me and recommend?

Geek, yes, Grass Valley is a great place to own a mid year (if your careful about all the deer). I am a member of Roamin Angels and we do a lot of charity work in the area so I get lots of chances to show off my Vette.

Bill

I think all of us have had the same nagging questions and complaints about the old style verses the new style!

I have the new style (Cl 205) on my 66 roadster and love them. Every morning when I leave the house to go to work I open the door and there sits my 66 with those beautiful wheels with out spacers! Every comment I receive about the car includes the style of the wheels. At NCRS meetings, even the hard core guys give great comments about the wheels!

I know it’s your money and your car but save yourself the mental beating and purchase the new style. You’ll thank yourself every time you look at your car!

Mike

Bill,
I can't explain why Newstalgia is now recommending 3 1/4". When I contacted them in late 2003 they (yes they) recommended 3 3/8". And that size is clearly stated on the invoice.

This pic shows the bend in the CL205 spokes to clear the calipers.

I am moving today to a new home so will be off-line for several days. Sorry I cannot answer any follow-on questions during that time.

spokes04.jpg

curve003.jpg

torqinvoice007.jpg

I went through the same grief. No one could tell me if they would fit for sure. So, Newstalgia sent me a single Torq Thrust D wheel for a test fit. They fit fine on my car with NO SPACERS. I ended up buying the full set with 215-70/15 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's from Newstalgia. Newstalgia is great to do business with and the D's look great.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom