Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Touch-up paint containers

P

primeratec5

I just purchased an '86, 2-tone silver/brown metallic. Today I checked with local Chev garage for touch-up paint bottles--no longer in production.

Anybody know where I may purchase same?

I just ordered Bright Red touchup for my 86 from Corvette Central (they're indispensible for us older C4 owners anyway - www.corvettecentral.com). About $4 a bottle. Haven't applied it yet, so I can't say how good the match is.
[RICHR]

Ok, I used the touchup from Mid America today. It's thinner than what I'm used to for my other cars. The brush in the cap was way bigger than it should be, making it hard to apply neatly. The color was a decent match, but not perfect (then again, my car has been repainted so the touchup might be closer to the original than my body is). And it was less expensive than paint from the dealer if you discount shipping charges.
[RICHR]

touch-up kits

Have scanned Corvette Central's on line catolog to no avail. Will try Mid America next--------thanks for your input

My bad... I placed orders from Mid America and Corvette Central at the same time and forgot which place I got the paint from. It was Mid America, as I stated in my second post. Sorry for the confusion.
[RICHR]

What is the trick to getting touch-up paint to work on nicks. I purchased the sanding pen and have the touch-up paint. Do you use any filler or use the paint to fill out level? Any suggestions, before I start????

Tom,
I hope we get a few comments to your question. I placed my order with Mid-America for the paint and the repair kit over the week-end and my initial thought was to take car to a body shop that works with fibreglass and have them do the repair. I am very fortunate that the car has very few spots--the original owner either did not take it out much and when he did he probably did as I am doing and taking up several parking spots each time it parks. We have several shops in the area that work on boats or vets and one is willing to do the work. (He actually was the one to suggest just the touch-up because he said paint looked too good to try to do over the whole area(driver's door)) Mine is two tone and has nicks on both top and bottom.

My favorite body shop suggests several light treatments of paint to build up and fill the chip - unless the chip is decent-sized (I'd say dime-sized). Although if it's taken out the gel-coat I'm not sure what to do...

I have a nasty chip on my passenger door that I've put two coats on and it still looks pretty rough (though better than before). I'm going to try a bit of wet sanding because the touchup paint tends to build up at the lower edge of the chip.

[RICHR]

I will experiment on wifes car first. My touch up paint plan:
*several coats of touch up to build it up
*use the sanding pen to level out
*using wet standpaper starting at 800 grit (very lightly) maybe even finner.
*continue to work up to 2000 grit wet stand paper
* move on to polishing compounds working up to finner grits
*if all work well a final waxing
I have painted a few cars, so I know a little about body work/painting.
This hopefully will work. Any problems with my plan?

tom_85_vet said:

Does your wife know about this? Could be a problem... :)
[RICHR]

Plasti-kote makes a leveler that is used after you fill the nick. Used it a couple of times & it works. Eliminates the need for sanding. Got it at Pep-Boys.

I where the pants in my famly, only when my wife lets me. My wife's car is alittle older and any screw ups would not show up, besides its a Ford. Is the leveler a final clear coat that will allow the repair to completely disappear. I will make a stop at the 3 men on the roof (Pepboys).

The "Leveler" is a clear liquid that, when applied with a Q-tip, takes the bump off & levels the paint. I had 2 small nicks & the stuff worked pretty good. Didn't apply any clear coat, didn't seem necessary for the small nicks.:beer

http://paintscratch.com/

They should have what you need... not cheap though. I got paint for my 1970 Chevelle from them. You can also get most large auto paint stores to mix you up some touch-up paint fairly reasonable.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom