Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

+++ Touch-up paint for LT5 silver/grey

95ZR1#418

Corvette
95ZR1#418, 88Z51Coupe, 69L46Coupe
Does anyone know what will match/stick to the silver/grey powder coated LT5 engine as a brush on heat resistant paint for small touch -ups. :D

Thanks...

If you want to see a picture of what mine looks like after paint just give me a email of check on the thread at the other forum titled" what to clean your lt5 with"
I posted one there

90 Corvette ZR-1 said:
Phrogs: How many coats did you get per can?
Well I put 2 coats on everything a nice light first coat and a good even second coat.
I bought 2 cans and used one and a half of the other one.

Its been a while but thats why I bought 2 cans because I didnt know what it would cover and Id have some extra left over.

I plan to redue my cam covers/plenum here soon. Did you pull them or paint them while they were still bolted down, did you sand first? If I could deal with my car being down for that long Id like to pull, sand, paint, clear them.

I tore it down to the bare bones.
removed the cam covers and everything else.
I cleaned them up in the bath tub and still in the tub with water in there I hit them with some scotch brite to rough up the original paint surface, no need to remove the old paint just scuff it up to let the new paint have something to grab ahold of.

after I masked everything up it was as simple as just aplying the paint. in nice even light coats.
try it out on your water inlet pipes and see if you want to go with it or posibly go for a powder coat, This way is time consuming but I do all my own stuff so it wasnt a big deal for me and the paint has been on my engine for close to a year now and no problems what so ever.

Bob

The LT5 engine paint is PPG Deltron Acrylic Urethane DAU35598 base coat D863 accelerated hardener

Bob

I have the DuPont number also if you want which is:

(DuPont G9889J) LT5 Aluminum Oxide Paint

Art

Hi all-

Follow-up here. I used the LPE LT5 spray as Jonny recommended it is superb. I painted my injector housings, thottle body, throttle extention, and rubbed a little over a couple tiny spots on the plenum. My engine only has 5K miles on it but you cannot tell any difference in color with the parts butted up to non- newly painted parts. If you don't want to spend big bucks on the powder coat with some personal time invested you can make you engine look like brand new stock- beutiful at that. You just need to take your time & do a good job, you can't rush paint jobs or forget. Your option? spend better than a grand rather than the $20-30 and have it done right. :r :D

I told you it kicked butt!

Its a whole lot cheaper than powdercoat and still looks great!

johnny

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom