Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tough to get into reverse

K

klgray

Hi fellow Vetteheads

I just bought a 1981 vette 2 weeks ago with a 4sp manual. I've noticed that occasionally I have trouble getting the shift lever into reverse.

Any advice on "tricks of the trade" or adjustment mechanisms that I need to look at would be appreciated!

Thanks for the help!

Is it your shifter linkage binding? gears grinding? clutch not dis-engaging completely?

Have you cleaned your linkages and swivels and lubed them lately?

Hi vetsvette2002

It doesn't grind, just doesn't want to go into reverse. I pull up on the locking mechanism (which seems to work fine), but it feels like I can't find the gear location (seems to not find the correct slot in the gear). I don't know anything about cleaning the linkages and swivels - any place on the net you can point me to lear how to do it?

Get the car inneutral up onjack stands and spray every part of the linkages and the shifter assemby with brake cleaner. Use an old tooth brush if needed to clean any stubborn grime. If you still can't get all of the crud out you may have to remove the shifter assembly from the car(this is spelled out in the service manual). I recommend lubriplate to lube the swivels and shifter assembly. This is also a good time to replace the G clips too. All of the shifter assembly parts are spelled out in the AIM

Don

Thanks Don !!! Appreciate the advice!

P.S. oops I didn't realize that vettehead referred to another website - my bad...

Hi fellow Vetteheads

I just bought a 1981 vette 2 weeks ago with a 4sp manual. I've noticed that occasionally I have trouble getting the shift lever into reverse.

Any advice on "tricks of the trade" or adjustment mechanisms that I need to look at would be appreciated!

Thanks for the help!

klgray,

First, welcome to CAC!

The stock Corvette shifter linkage can bind as mine did. I once actually got stuck in reverse, and had to be towed!

I replaced the shifter with a Hurst Competition Plus from Summit (www.summitracing.com), and I replaced the shifter handle with a stock-looking one from Mid America (www.madvet.com). This is probably one of the best replacements I've done so far. Shifts nice and smooth!

Getting the shifter adjusted while in place is a real pita. Trying to get the little pin/shift through the adjustment slot :mad ... it can be done with enough patience and persistance..

I adjusted mine on the car, then off the car, then ended up getting a NOS shifter and installed it and problem GONE.. What I found was the holes for the linkage connections and the bolt holes were starting to get oblong and adjustments weren't working..

I'll look around I think I have a few scanned photo's around here somewhere, If I find them I'll be back and include them..

Good luck... oh... for me the problems started by fighting the shifter to get it into Reverse. Breaking the T-Handle shaft ... I went through 2 T-Lockout replacements and adjustments before installing the NOS shifter.. As I recall I got the shifter from Volenteer Corvette (09/27/04 @ $215.00)

Oh yea I have a Spread Sheet that covers Rare from the 1st owner through Today (3rd owner) :W I also know I need ;help :D

Bud

Edit: Add Photo... the highlight orange show the where the oblong problems where..
attachment.php

I replaced mine also with a Hurst unit and installation kit, stock shifter is junk compared to the Hurst. Nice, firm, smooth shifts everytime with the Hurst, made shifting the Corvette fun again. That's my recommendation.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom