Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Towing Dolly for 6 speed

dsharp

Corvette
1980 Red Coupe
I need to get a 97 with some front suspension issues (front tranverse spring broken?) to a suspension shop about 35 miles away. It is pretty flat and I can stay on back roads. Is it ok to use a 2 wheel dolly? It has a 6 speed.

My 2004 Owner's Manual (p. 4-33) states "Your vehicle was not designed to be towed with any of its wheels on the ground," implying that a flatbed should be used. However, the older Manuals (e.g., 1998, pp. 5-8 through 5-12) only caution against the use of sling-type equipment to tow the C5. I'm guessing the 1997 Manual is the same or similar to the 1998 Manual, but I'd still double-check it first.

My guts tell me the best plan is to flatbed the car, but you can probably tow it short distances on the rear wheels (transmission in neutral), following the recommendations in the 1998 Manual.

I think if the gears are not turning , the oil doesn't get to all the places it should
I would not do it

It is also not good for the clutch pilot bushing. Tow it on a flatbed or a trailer.

You may have trouble clearing the ramps on a tow dolly, plus getting under there to wraps the straps around the tires may be tough.

If the front spring is broken, I bet the car sits even lower than normal.
I think no matter what you try, it will involve several stepped 2x12's.

Don't forget you have to get the car back off the dolly.
I tore a perfectly good air dam off on a car backing it off a dolly.
It flexed going on, but ripped going off.

I doubt jacking the car up would work with a dolly as the ramps stick out a couple feet. unless you find one with removable ramps.

If you do use a dolly be careful and drive slower than normal.
Being a manual trans, throw it neutral and off you go.

If you do use a dolly be careful and drive slower than normal.
Being a manual trans, throw it neutral and off you go.
:eyerole
NO , DO NOT DO THIS

Towing ?

If you have AAA then they will tow the up to 50 miles on your account for free. Or if you check your auto insurance policy, I believe the 97 can be towed and you insurance will cover the cost .

:eyerole
NO , DO NOT DO THIS

And why not?
Do these manual transmissions have an engine driven oil pump like an automatic?
My service manual is at work so I can't look at a schematic, but typically manual transmissions are splash lubricated like the differential.

well .....GO AHEAD AND LET US KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT , it's not my car.....
:w

well .....GO AHEAD AND LET US KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT , it's not my car.....
:w
Instead of just saying "Don't do it", tell us the reason, especially when there are differing opinions.

The typical manual transmission output shaft has gears that fall below the oil fill line and draws the oil up for lubrication of it.
Is there something different about the 6 speed?

Here's a thought, as you said the differential is splash lubricated as is the manual transmission. Tell me when is the differential ever in neutral. When the transmission is in neutral are the gears turning, if so why?

Here's a thought, as you said the differential is splash lubricated as is the manual transmission. Tell me when is the differential ever in neutral. When the transmission is in neutral are the gears turning, if so why?
In my previous post to this one, I mention that normally the output shaft of the transmission has a gear that falls below the oil fill line and draws up oil for lubrication. This lubrication is for the output shaft.

If the car is rolling in neutral, only the output shaft is turning and possibly a counter shaft depending on how the transmission is designed.
The other shafts and gears are not turning, so they don't need lubrication.

In a differential, the gears only turn when the car is rolling.
When the car rolls, the ring gear turns and since a portion of the ring gear is submersed, oil is drawn up and provides the necessary lubrication.

Now, I haven't had a 6 speed apart, so my question is: Does the output shaft have a partially submersed gear that will draw oil up and provide lubrication for the output shaft?
If so, there is no need to worry about having the rear wheels turn while in neutral.

If someone here happens to have a spare 6 speed laying around where they could pull the cover off and see what turns while in neutral, it would answer the question without a doubt.

OK, we both know how a differential works but we don't know how the Corvette 6 speed works. We also know that GM says "Your vehicle was not designed to be towed with any of its wheel on the ground." Page 4-37 of the C6 owners manual, (no longer have the one for the C5).

My guess would be that GM has designed every parasitic drag they can out of the Corvette transmission. That may well mean that there are no gears rotating to pick up lubrication when it would not be required.

On the other hand the HHR manual transmission is towable as is because they wanted it sold to the motorhome crowd.

towing

I wouldn't tow it either. the savings are not worth the risk. You must also realize you will have 3200lbs on the back of your tow vehicle with no brakes. That said, if the problem is lubrication run the engine while towing. I have done this with other vehicles that can't be towed without pulling the driveshaft.

Good luck and don't take chances that you don't have to take.

b

Thanks

I decided not to risk it and called a rollback. $80 cash and despite the nose being on the ground we were able to get it on and off the rollback without tearing off the air dam. Thanks for all the advice and discussion.
Dan

The recommendation to have low slung Corvettes hauled on a full trailer or flat bed truck, I believe, is to ensure that the rear suspension is not damaged when the front end is a foot or more off the ground when towed from the front end.

My 1977 Corvette, prior to my ownership, had been towed several times by a conventional tow truck. There was damage to the muffler system (you could see the scrap and wear marks) as well as damage to the chassis (front end) where the hooks were inserted into the frame rails.

Whenever possible get all the wheels on a full trailer or flat bed truck. That's my advice. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom