Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Towing questions...

glazounov

Corvette
1994 "Arrest-Me-Red" LT-1 Convertible
OK - I have a multi-part question for all of the experts out there:

I am moving 2000+ miles to Montana, and am wondering if I will have problems trailering my C-4 convertible and pulling it with my 93 Toyota Camry (1.6 liter 4-cylinder). I am planning on putting on a temporary trailer hitch and driving it the 2000 or so miles- will this overstress my old Camry (it has regular suspension, etc. and 175,000 miles - runs great, but has never towed ANYTHING), or is the C-4 light enough that I can get it over a few mountain passes?

Next part of the question: Where can I get the plastic material that they use when shipping new cars? I’m talking about the stuff they use to cover the hood, trunk, etc. to protect from rock chips, bugs, and other road junk. I really don’t want to tow my C-4 with the standard car cover because I think that the flapping caused by the wind will damage the finish. ... or is there a better solution?

Any ideas? THANKS!
Denny

I doubt you will make it that far with a four cylinder car, you will be whinding that thing at top end...and forget about stopping...They probably won't allow you to rent it. You would also need a Class 3 tow hitch (5,000 lbs. minimum weight-carrying rating)

For the cover call your local marina and ask for "shrink wrap cover"

Truck?

I think a Camry is a regular passenger car and there is no way you can tow your Vette with it.

No way you should tow the 'Vette with a Camry. The Camry has enough trouble getting going as it is, put on another 3000 pounds and that thing will definitely have problems. I have a V6 Camry and I wouldn't even try that.

As others have said your Camry will not be able to handle it. Towing on a level road is not difficult, but for pulling up hills and stopping you need a vehicle that is designed for the job.

Tow the Camry with the Vette, if you must tow something ;LOL
DSCYou%27reKiddingMe460.JPG

SELL the camry and drive the Corvette! That's your best option. :D

Ditch the Camry and drive the Vette. If you need to move items, install a trailer hitch on the Vette and rent a small trailer.
Plan B: rent a large enough moving van to hold the Vette, pack the rest of your things in it, and drive to MT with Vette securely stored inside. Tow the Camry with the truck if you can't part with it.

tyrel said:
The camry owners manual for a 4-cylinder says you can tow up to 1500 pounds.

That's not even half the weight of a C4. :L

First C4 said:
Buy a Dodge Ram and tow everything!

You mean a Hemi to be more specific, right?:L:L:L

Thanks everybody!

I'm going with an Auto Transport company.

D

I will do it as long as you pay all the speeding tickets I get in it.

Vanity Plate Bob said:
What have U got in that thing?

Some 2x4's, garden tractor and a C4.

;LOL That's pretty good!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom