Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Toyota to race Cup, Busch beginning in '07

There are not going to be any factory based Toyota teams. There will be two teams fielded by Bill Davis Racing, two by Michael Waltrip's new team and three others. Motors, chassis, and frames are going to be supplied by BDR as well.

GM and Ford have been losing market share for decades to the foreign car companies and only have themselves to blame. While the UAW workers were getting raises and putting together sloppy cars, the foreign car companies were putting together well made cars cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, GM and Ford have come a long way since then, but their wages have steadily increased causing the prices of their cars to go up. Our government should have imposed higher tariffs on those companies a long time ago, but didn't and this is where we are now. Within the next decade unless they find a way to turn things around, I think GM or Ford will be sold to Honda, Toyota, or VW.

I like the Toyota in NASCAR because I think it will bring in some of the younger fans. It's not like it was 15 or 20 years ago when you could tell what kind of car each driver was in anyway. The reality of it is that NASCAR is about making money. As is MLB, NBA, NFL, IRL, F1, or WRC. Open competition makes money. Keeping any of the foreign makes out of NASCAR would be like keeping foreign players out of other sports, and that is not going to happen.

There is no such thing as factory backed anything because the factories produce NOTHING for these cars. It is a marketing exercise only. Factory support means cash and anyone with a Toyota sticker gets some...some more than others...

NASCAR dictates body shape, tires, tire compounds, tire pressures, carb sizes for the track, carb jetting for the track, rear spoiler angles, valance clearance, stagger, off set, minimum and maximum alignment settings, shocks, shock settings, etc., etc., etc.

It is a spec series with the teams incurring the costs of research and development - not a chassis manufacturer(s).

They are unsafe too - why five lugnuts instead of a locking center nut? Why not onbarod jacks to keep the extra man off of pitlane? Why gasoline still - leaded to boot although they are switching in a few years. Why not fuel injection and tub construction to make them safe.

Toyota is smart to use what GM and Ford built to advertise a car that does not exist - a rear wheel drive, four speed, carb fed 358 cid leaded gas burning lump.

Keeping old fans is NASCAR's problem right now - not getting younger ones - the younger ones come and go quickly - ask CART (RIP)...

Appears like NEXTEL will vanish in branding as Sprint takes over - Sprint will exercise their "we didn't agree to this" clause in a year or so, TV ratings will continue to sag with fragmented coverage (up to four networks by '07) - and those young fans will get bored with talk of restrictor plates and the Bubba factor...on onto something else...with no older loyal fans to save it.

By the way - LOVE your car!!!

Koolaid... just a note...

The cost of union work is only 7-10% of vehicle cost. Executive salaries surpasses that. I did find out that there is a 100% mark-up over vehicle build cost. Who's fault?

Well, about a year ago, I met an exec that stated the profit for a Lincoln LS(because I build the steering column for it) was around $20K. It's a $44,000 vehicle. Hence, my statement of 100% mark-up. I don't know the exact numbers and I'm sure the lesser priced vehicles aren't nearly as much profit. They were trying to cut cost and our briefing was a result of that.

I agree that the upper management of most big companies are paid way too much and then even more when they are fired. What is their incentive to stay then? I wish Ford and GM were as strong as they were 30 years ago. As it is now, I can't afford a decent new 5 passenger car with any options from any car company. I'll keep my beater until it dies and then buy another.

koolaid17

I like your answers.they appear to be while thought out and as sad as it may sound. Much of the problem is GM and Ford's own making Also the UAW will have to take some responsibility as well. Corporartions are "for profit" entities and to make a profit something has to give. Look at nearly any government agency one may have to go to, as well as the US Postal service. two teller counters open out of maybe eight. You cannot hardly fire a government worker, even if they do not work. Government is another "Not for Profit" entity so the workers can get by with performing shoddy work and service.

And before anyone goes to barking and carping, I would suggest you perform some economic and financial background research first. It is easy to lay blame on the Toyota's, the Honda's, Hyundia, etc., but, who allowed these entiites in, maybe some elected official?

It is easy to bark at the moon, but harder to understand why one would wish to bark at the moon.

Now, don't get me wrong here... I am a member of the UAW and proud of that fact. I am glad for the things they do for us but, they can and do go too far sometimes. Like at my plant, they got a guy hired back after he, in all sincerety, threatened to kill(shoot) his boss. BS! They also get people hired back that have been fired for missing too much work or late too many times. BS!

I realize that the UAW is also a business and the membership pays their bills. My dues are $60 a month and they get a percentage of my bonus check(s) as well. The union isn't what it use to be. It's becoming more of a business than a service. That is bad. Too many officials are cuddling up to management to fatten their own wallets. That is bad. The union isn't the good people anymore, our officials have put themselves above us and that is bad.

Our benefits are fitting and our wages ARE fitting for the work we do. Don't take rumors you hear and make comments on that, it shows ignorance. Most of us are hard working people and even some of us get hurt on the job because of our dedication. Let's see some of you hit an assembly line at 6am and go full steam until 8am break, take 10 minutes and then back on the line again before it starts up. If you aren't there, the line stops and the bosses are looking for blood to find who is costing the company thousands of dollars a minute!! I've never been that person, but they are there. Now work until 11am and take your 30 minute lunch break, again back on the line until your 15 minute break at 1pm. Work right up to 2:30pm and head home, unless they need more product and they can force you to work 9 hours! Some of you say 'oh that's nothing'. Well, I've done many jobs in my life, roofer, framer, hobber, weapons storage & handling(military), built fence, cabinetry, on and on... factory work is one of the hardest jobs I've had and I know why we are paid what we are.

So, because we have good benefits and are paid good money... we are wrong for that??? We are causing the collapse of huge corporations? No!

Just my say... I am done.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom