Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TPI Install on my L82

KANE

Corvette
Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
Here are the pics of my TPI install so far-

The first is with the lower intake, fuel rails, injectors, harness, and runners.

The second is the interior panel removed in order to mount the ECM and relays.

What you don't see is the rear carpet gutted. I figured since I'd have to route the wires for fuel pump I may as well rip the old carpet out!

I also need to clean the engine compartment. However, that will happn when it finally gets above freezing out here... Brrrrr.

attachment.php

attachment.php

:upthumbs Johnny,

Looks like things are starting to come together for you ;) When do you figure on putting a little rubber on the road??

Bud

:upthumbs Johnny,

Looks like things are starting to come together for you ;) When do you figure on putting a little rubber on the road??

Bud

Bud, I hope in the next month. Unfortunately, it isn't before my other priorities- family, dog, work, taxes, car. I'm very busy with my 3 month old son and with work, so the car sits. I still need to get this thing registered- so I really need to hurry!

bossvette said:
Kool, what electronics and harness are you using?

I am using a custom harness from a great ebay seller-s10wildside- who does all kinds of stuf with repair sections and custom harnesses.

It is modeled off of the 91 Fbody harness using the 1227730 ECM with a lot of nice touches- like a three wire 02 sensor, pre-installed fan and fuel pump relays, spark advance disconnect, and a GM-esque disconnect between the MAT sensor and the harness.

I have a great custom chip from Scott Hansen set for the injectors, cam, heads, and induction.

Shifing gears...

I would recommend that anyone who decides to rehab a barn find invest in some of Clorox Ultimate Care to clean the floor boards and inside the cargo compartment. I think with a barn find it is a given that the interior will need serious attention (carpet). I'd mix it at around ten to one.
sol_prod_ult_bleach_main.jpg

A drink or something liquid (previous owner) had left a terrible residue under the rear carpet.

I won't go into detail, but let us just say there was also some funk that needed to be addressed inside the cargo compartments.

That looks like some well thought out modifications. It will be interesting to hear your comments on he improvements once you are back on the road.

Tom

Well, I finally got around to the front end of the fuel system.

Quick update-
  • pulled the mechanical fuel pump and put on the block-off plate
  • cut and flared the stock return line for -4AN (with a step increase to -6AN) and the supply line for -6AN fitings
  • measured, cut, connected, and installed the Aeroquip socketless hose and fitings
What fun it was to flare those lines while they are still on the car.:W

I had to pass them underneath the fender... remove the wheel... then cut the lines... and then flare the lines. I also found out my old flaring jig was off just enough to make lopsided flares. AAARRRRHHHHGGGGG. One more trip to the parts store solved that.

I think for right now I'll bypass the transducer since the old style cruise is incompatible with the new style EFI.

The headlight vacuum hoses are somewhat of a mess. I think they are all hooked up at the far ends (the canisters and vaccum relays) but the front end by the vaccum source is was not set up right. Huh. I'm thinking about converting to electric motors like Chris MacDonald did... but the focus is on the TPI s that will have to wait. I'll just re-look all the hoses for the lights when I go to hook up the vacuum on the manifold.

I'll pick up the other parts I need for the EFI in about a week. I'm really not in a rush to get it back on the road as much as I am wanting to do it right.

I bought the car from out of state back in December yet it hasn't been on the road since then. I really hope I don't get a lot of grief from anyone about not having it registered yet (gubment). I would hope that they understand some things take time. I'm sure Bob or anyone else that has taken on a project like this could understand.

Incidentally, I'm running an 81-82 distributor. I did this so that I wouldn't have to fumble with distributor drive gears. I also like the quick relase twist latch feature on the earlier computer distributirs versus fooling around with little screws. On the last TPI swap, I was just plain lucky that I found distributor with the right gear already on it considring that the majoriy of TPI units were on later style blocks with later style gears.

The headlight hoses and vac cannisters are not that bad to work on. I rebuilt the rubber parts in mine and put new hoses on and its good as new.

The advantage of the vac cans is (at least 25 years ago) the vacuum system was lighter than two electric motors, relays...etc.

Good luck. Your motor is lookin' good BTW.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom