Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TPI Units for sale on E-bay

bossvette

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1968 1997
Well thanks for the post. I'm thinking of picking this up. I've thinking changing over to TPI for some time now. I'm not really up on these things; just an old carb kinda guy. I have a 400SB with Hooker side pipes in my 78 vette. I'm looking for a little better milage and of coures a few ponies. Can you tell me if this would fit the bill and how much it would be. I'd love to just let you put it on, but I live in Washington state.
Thanks for any help.
Gary

the TPI unit is designed for torque on a 350 and in stock form is supposed to run out of steam at 4500 a stock 400 would probably be OK but if it is modified you would need large tube runners and some port work to get the power you want. I have seen TPI's on 400's in magazines and shows, but don't know firsthand how they run. I have a modified unit on a 383, but the engine was built for TPI the cam is designed for TPI use I have brodix heads and the runners are shortened siamesed which brings the power band up to 5500. my reserve is 250 which would get you fuel rails with injecters and regulater, baseplate, runners, throttlebody, air control motor, Throttle position sensor and stock bolts you will need to purchase a computer and wire harness and fuel delivery and return system gaskets and O rings throttle cable(87 vette in mine)
I am also an "old carburator guy" but the TPI install is not hard, the hardest thing is running the extra fuel line. I used the Holley Commander 950 for the electronics and their instructions were quite clear and tech support is excellent as I am sure most of the others are.
If your engine is modified I would suggest the Holley stealth ram system feel free to ask any questions.
Craig sr

Thanks for the reply. My 400 has a mild cam and is now topped off with an Elebrock Preformer intake. I'm not sure about the rest of the motor, it has in the car when I purchased it. I do know that 6500 RPMs is easy to hit. I keep it below 5500 becuase I just don't need the extras and don't want to push the motor. I do know it will turn over the 295/50 in the rear if you do push it.
Well I think from what you are saying is that I would most likely be better off buying the custom unit or just stay with the carb. I don't know much about TPI, so that's why I'm asking around. Got to learn, and those who have done it the switch are the best to ask.
The TPI look good and any way to make the car a little more driver friendly, gas mileage, would be great.

Gary

the stealth ram is the way to go it may seem like a lot of money, but to get what I wanted I spent over 3000. the stealth ram was not available and Accels unit was still in DOS. I wanted the "TPI look" so didnt go for the Edelbrock or the Holley systems that were out at the time, although I did seriously consider buying the Edelbrock unit and adapting it to the TPI unit .
if you want the TPI look and it does look good.
33.jpg

the easiest way is a complete system from any of the aftermarket companies I personally only know about the Holley Commander 950 unit (same controller as stealth ram) but it is an easy install and a good excuse to buy a laptop.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom